New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Possible future Accord owner

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 07:59 AM
beer4u
Unregistered
Default Possible future Accord owner

Howdy All,
The Accord is on my short list for a new used car for me.
I've been reading though the posts on this site and really didn't
get a feel for my Question, so I'll ask it.
I was wondering if there are any years of Accord I should shy
away from if possible (2000 and newer). That's why I didn't get a good
feel reading through the posts, no one particular year kept popping
out as having a lot of problems (I think that speaks volume of the great
quality of Honda's and why it's on my short list).
Any ways just wondering if anybody had any opinions.
B4U
ps: I'm currently mulling over a 2003 LX accord w/ 36k miles for around
$12k, original private owner. What's a VTEC engine?

Old 06-29-2007, 11:47 AM
beer4u
Unregistered
Default RE: Possible future Accord owner

Howdy, Never mind about the Vtec engine Q. I discovered the search tool and found more then enough info on it. (Great DIY section too!) B4U

Old 06-29-2007, 01:22 PM

The only problems I am aware of are the trasmissions on the 98-02 automatics. You should be able to find a pretty good wealth of info on that subject by using the search function as well
This is not a "problem" but you need to make sure the timing belt was changed at 104k for any Honda before 2003. If the tbelt has not been changed, it needs to be done every 104k or 7 years (whichever comes first) on the 98-02 models. It can cost anywhere from $300-$800 for the service (most of the time the service includes changing the balance belts & water pump as well.) No need to worry about a timing belt in the 03 and newer models because they have a timing chain.
[sm=signs003.gif]in your purchase & [sm=welcomesign.gif]to the forum!

Old 06-29-2007, 01:59 PM

Ironically enough the 2003 is what I want to get into one day. As was stated the only common "issue" is the 98-02 Automatics had some potential tranny issues. Otherwise there is no "major" issues on any of the accords. The only thing I've seen on more than one occasion on the 03's is that the clock backlight goes out, and if it goes out and you really care about being able to see the clock clearly it's a spendy repair. but 12k for an 03 sounds like a pretty good deal.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:10 PM
beer4u
Unregistered

Thanks guys for the info. The owner is letting me have it for the weekend to see if I like it or not. Can check the gas mileage, transmission, and function of all the little stuff. My initial test drive went good. Very peppy car! I'll let you how it turns out. Any other suggestions for what I can check out on a weekend? I guess I can check the brakes as well (visual). B4U Thanks for the welcomes also!!

Old 06-29-2007, 02:47 PM

The clock backlight is notorious for going out on the 98-02's as well. But you can fix it yourself with a bulb from Radio Shack for about $2. Mine mysteriously went out a while back and I was going to go to Radio Shack for the bulb, but it came back on all of a sudden! I was like [sm=wtf.gif]

Old 06-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Administrator

Thank you for joining up and You will enjoy being a Honda Owner even if it's just because you joined this forum The honda cars are good choices almost no matter what year you pick...

WheelbrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 06-29-2007, 08:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Ironically enough the 2003 is what I want to get into one day.
Ballin'. Cross over to the 7th gen side.

Old 06-30-2007, 02:15 PM

i really want the 03 six speed they are so rare here

Old 07-03-2007, 12:29 PM
beer4u
Unregistered

Howdy All, Looks like I'll be owning the 03 Honda pretty soon! I made an offer less then blue book and Edmunds list and the owner countered with an even lower price! My question is: Are there any warranties that came with the 03 Accords that are still transferable to new owners almost 5 years pass the initial purchase? There's only 36K on the car. Just wondering. Thanks and have a super 4th!! B4U

Quick Reply: Possible future Accord owner