New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Prospective Owner - Here for Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Default Prospective Owner - Here for Help

Hello:

Just wanted to introduce myself as I am new to this forum. I'm in the market for a new car and the 2016 Accord is at the top of my list and was just hoping to learn from you all before I pull the trigger.

It's a pleasure to be here.

All the best.

Rathmullan,
Wisconsin

Old 10-11-2015, 11:48 AM

Hello, Rath
Welcome to the forum

As you may know, the Accord is the top selling vehicle in its class even though Toyota claims the top spot, however, Toyota counts their fleet sales in order to increase the numbers

In my opinion, the Accord is not only a quality car it is a price-wise value... and, it is fun to drive. I purchased a new Accord Sport this past February and have loved the car from day one... great performance. The 2016's have a more aggressive look than the 2015's.

Today's Accords have 'drive-by-wire' which delivers terrific acceleration and if you select the Sport 2.4L, it comes with CVT... the combination is extremely responsive

The 2016's also offer 19" wheels... some folks here in the forum will disagree with running 19's... but hey, they look great and it's certainly a personal decision. Plus, I believe Honda would not have offered the 19's without reason... and that could be: customer demand.

Bottom line: a great car at a reasonable price. Enjoy

Old 10-11-2015, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, the wife is rolling on 20's

OP - First you have to know this is a Honda site so we might lean towards them. Can you give us some idea of the trim level, options you are looking at? As I'm sure you are aware the 16's are a new design so there is limited information - actual history, driving, ect - but some things do carry over, that is why I asked what options/trim level/ect you are looking at.

As an example, the wife has a 16 Pilot - she loves it. Me, well there are some things I really like about it but there are some that I really don't like.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:02 PM

The Accord is the gold standard. It big enough to put adults in the back seat. A trunk that holds enough. Always reliable. It does everything well or better.

I have emailed people on the Ford Fiesta Forum telling them not to buy a Fiesta. I had one, while it did the test drive nicely, it was incredibly unreliable. Resale value is awful. You won't find an email in your message box from me warning you not to buy one.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:30 PM

Thank You all for making me feel so welcomed!

I've owned a lot of "crazier stuff" including Audi's (which become incredibly expensive to maintain after 75K miles or so) and I have a 2012 Corvette (I'm a slave to it and it is not practical so it is up for sale - got my yayas out but am done with it now). My other vehicle is a GMC Acadia which I need for hauling stuff around but it gets terrible gas mileage and is not a good DD. I just want a solid built sedan that: can comfortably accommodate 2 adults in the rear seat (are you folks happy with the rear seat on your Accord?); handles well (It looks like Honda made some improvements to the chassis for even better handling on the 2016 model); get's decent gas mileage; is fun to drive; and has a reasonably quiet cabin (is the Accord quiet?).
A lot of people rave about the Mazda 6. I can see that it would handle great because it weighs in a couple of hundred pounds less than the Accord but I also hear people complain about cabin noise - which makes me think that its weight advantage comes at a cost of cabin noise.

I will have to test drive both the V-6 and the 4 cylinder. Not against the 4 cylinder at all. The 4 cylinder weighs a full 200 lbs less than the V6 in a place (front end) which really counts in terms of handling. Even Carroll Shelby admitted in his later years that he thought the 289 ci Cobra was a lot more fun to drive than the more powerful 427 ci Cobra! And as Prospector points out "'drive-by-wire' which delivers terrific acceleration and if you select the Sport 2.4L, it comes with CVT... the combination is extremely responsive"

Thanks Again!

Regards,

Rathmullan

Last edited by Rathmullan; 10-12-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rathmullan
Thank You all for making me feel so welcomed!

I just want a solid built sedan that: can comfortably accommodate 2 adults in the rear seat (are you folks happy with the rear seat on your Accord?); handles well (It looks like Honda made some improvements to the chassis for even better handling on the 2016 model); get's decent gas mileage; is fun to drive; and has a reasonably quiet cabin (is the Accord quiet?).
A lot of people rave about the Mazda 6. I can see that it would handle great because it weighs in a couple of hundred pounds less than the Accord but I also hear people complain about cabin noise - which makes me think that its weight advantage comes at a cost of cabin noise.

I will have to test drive both the V-6 and the 4 cylinder. Not against the 4 cylinder at all. The 4 cylinder weighs a full 200 lbs less than the V6 in a place (front end) which really counts in terms of handling. Even Carroll Shelby admitted in his later years that he thought the 289 ci Cobra was a lot more fun to drive than the more powerful 427 ci Cobra! And as Prospector points out "'drive-by-wire' which delivers terrific acceleration and if you select the Sport 2.4L, it comes with CVT... the combination is extremely responsive"

Thanks Again!

Regards,

Rathmullan
In response to your latest inquiry: I often have 4 adults (including myself) in my Accord, those who have ridden in the back have said that it is comfortable... the fold-down center armrest/cup holder is convenient and adds a sense of separation without jeopardizing space

Old 10-12-2015, 06:10 PM

My 5'10" son rode in the back seat of my Accord from Minnesota to Tennessee. Just under 1000 miles in one day. I asked him how it was back there. he said: "fine". I beat the EPA's highway figure on that trip. A/C on. If you don't like the Accord, resale value is high.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rathmullan
Hello:

Just wanted to introduce myself as I am new to this forum. I'm in the market for a new car and the 2016 Accord is at the top of my list and was just hoping to learn from you all before I pull the trigger.

It's a pleasure to be here.

All the best.

Rathmullan,
Wisconsin
I purchased my 2016 sport on Friday and have enjoyed the car more and more every single day... I love it... so impressed. I feel that this particular car for the 25K or so it costs is the same as a 40K+ car yet without the expensive extras that enthusiasts dont really care about anyways. I would rather have superb handling vs, lane assist/sunroof/keyless entry etc..etc...

My 2nd honda and first brand new car.

Matt
Sarasota, Florida

Old 10-15-2015, 08:21 PM
Administrator
Talking Welcome To The Forums..

Thank You for joining the HAf..we have a lot of good people here in the forums..

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails Prospective Owner - Here for Help-wisconsin.jpg  
Old 12-04-2015, 08:11 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hi, welcome and let me know if there is anything I can answer for you. I am not a gear head but I've owned a lot of Hondas. I know actual people who have driven their Accords to over 200,000 miles. In fact I met one man at the car wash the other day who claimed he had over 450,000 miles before being rear ended. It's pretty hard to match Honda's automotive/racing pedigree.

Quick Reply: Prospective Owner - Here for Help