SLeepyAccord - Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

SLeepyAccord

Old 12-21-2018, 04:40 AM
Exclamation SLeepyAccord

Hello my name is Jordan. I have a 1994 Honda Accord LX Coupe. My honda had a very long life at over 300k. After this photo was taken on April 19th 2015 the motor went out and had no compression in 3 of the cylinders. Long story short and the car has been sitting for 3 years and just recently she has been pulled from her hibernation and returned to the garage. I have a budget of about 3k for my build. I am very determined to get this car road ready again but after inspections its gonna need a lot of work done. The F22B2 motor is still fairly clean but could use a rebuild anyways for the well being of the engine. I do believe this car will need a complete rebuild but I have a overhaul manual for the car and I want to try to get it started again because I am in need of a car.
{ANY ADVICE IS CRUCIAL TO MY BUILD.}
{ALL ADVICE IS WELCOME}

** MORE POSTS SOON**

Old 12-22-2018, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by SLeepyAccord View Post
Hello my name is Jordan. I have a 1994 Honda Accord LX Coupe. My honda had a very long life at over 300k. After this photo was taken on April 19th 2015 the motor went out and had no compression in 3 of the cylinders. Long story short and the car has been sitting for 3 years and just recently she has been pulled from her hibernation and returned to the garage. I have a budget of about 3k for my build. I am very determined to get this car road ready again but after inspections its gonna need a lot of work done. The F22B2 motor is still fairly clean but could use a rebuild anyways for the well being of the engine. I do believe this car will need a complete rebuild but I have a overhaul manual for the car and I want to try to get it started again because I am in need of a car.

{ANY ADVICE IS CRUCIAL TO MY BUILD.}
{ALL ADVICE IS WELCOME}

** MORE POSTS SOON**

Welcome. That's a good looking 5th gen coupe. I'd probably look for a good JDM engine to be honest. I only say that, as you'll have 1200 to 1500 in just rebuilding your engine, with a good part of that in machine shop time alone. Depending on where you are, going thru the head will run you 350 to 400. Then add in the cost of honing the cylinders will be at least 300. Note, I got those prices from my local machine shop from when my son had those items done to his 98 Civic engine. This didn't include polishing the crank (he bought new), getting a complete gasket kit, bearings, rings, oil pump, timing belt and tensioner, or other miscellaneous items just to run it.
He did replace the engine mounts on it, since it has 230K miles on it. Also, he had his high amp alternator seize from sitting for 8 months while he gathered up the parts to actually rebuild the engine.
In your case, I'd also look at the condition of the brakes (front and rear), exhaust, and tires (in particular age of them), but also for any funky wear patterns, and maybe do a trans fluid swap. Basically do a good look over of anything and everything, including the lights. I only mention that last one as I've had vehicles sit for 6 months and have had funky things happen.
I hope this helps.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 12-22-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:22 AM

I have been looking at a JDM engine but still indecisive. Although the numbers you threw out are not impossible to work with, its around what I had in mind to get the car road ready again. I have been cleaning it and getting a lot of the dirt from the nooks of the engine bay. I plan to buy a battery this week to put in and see what happens when the ignition switches on. I do plan on a complete gasket kit as well as a replacement of the bearings, rings, oil pump, belts, tensioner, alternator, and pretty much everything else. I'm sure a lot of the parts may still be usable for the build but I want to have the engine mounts replaced along with transmission mounts and various suspension parts such as the ball joints and coils. I don't really have a budget for the build but i know how i want the car.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by SLeepyAccord View Post
I have been looking at a JDM engine but still indecisive. Although the numbers you threw out are not impossible to work with, its around what I had in mind to get the car road ready again. I have been cleaning it and getting a lot of the dirt from the nooks of the engine bay. I plan to buy a battery this week to put in and see what happens when the ignition switches on. I do plan on a complete gasket kit as well as a replacement of the bearings, rings, oil pump, belts, tensioner, alternator, and pretty much everything else. I'm sure a lot of the parts may still be usable for the build but I want to have the engine mounts replaced along with transmission mounts and various suspension parts such as the ball joints and coils. I don't really have a budget for the build but i know how i want the car.
The big thing is you need to tear the engine down, in order to find out what bearings you need for the crank, and rods (the bearing sizes are stamped on the bottom of the block). You need to get the block over to a machinist, so he can measure the bores first, as you might have to bore the cylinders to the next .5mm size, and get pistons in that size, if the cylinders aren't round from wear. Just keep that in mind, as it'll raise the cost of machining.

Search this Thread
Advertising

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.