New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Soon to be newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 PM
beerad
Unregistered
Smile Soon to be newbie?

Hi from Canada,

Long time Subaru driver here, now leaning to Honda--since I live in Toronto, don't really need AWD, do need better gas mileage, and my last Subaru was a big problem car, unusual for Sub.

Briefly looked at Ford Focus, recommendation from friend, can't do it lol

So, have looked at Civic and Accord (I have a large dog so leaning to Accord), wondering if there are certain years/issues I should be aware of?

I've just come across a 2000 Accord Sp. Ed., 4 cyl auto.
One owner car, dealer has full history and only 70,000km which is what, 40-45,000 miles?

Seems to be in great shape save the armrest (guess driver had heavy elbow? weird), no rust, very attractive interior. Friend of mine has Accord, I think is same year, had premature tranny failure, is this an issue for Accord in any one year?

Hope is that I nab a solid vehicle with decent mileage, drive for a good 5 years or so. Like to tap into that legendary Honda reliability.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Will post shots when I buy.

Thx all!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

trannys for autos are a problem i think round 70,000 miles. if you could drive a 5speed that would be your best bet. also if your going to get a 1998-2002 accord, the water pump is kinda problem round 80,000 miles. hope this helps and welcome to the forum

Old 02-25-2009, 12:41 AM

Seems your in the market to buy used..

If your truly looking into gas mileage,the civic is your best bet.
If your looking for a roomy ride for you and your pup then the accord is the way to go,as far as years abd transmissions,pretty much fray away from an automatic tranny,Accord (mainly 98-02)[some cases 03-05]has been notoriously known for transmission failures,with that being said,im almost positive you know you to operate stick,since 93.all% suburus come manual,go with the manual 5 speed accord.Far more reliable and guaranteed to last the 5 years you re seeking.

Also if you do indeed decide to get that mentioned accord,i would ask the service rep before purchase,if that car is covered for transmission failure..due to recall.

Good luck.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:23 AM
beerad
Unregistered

98--

Thx for the input, I do indeed drive stick so will keep that in mind. Am going to see a loaded Accord 5sp, dealer called last night, good deal, 60,000 miles.
So auto tranny is primary ongoing issue? Anything else that you know of?

I see you have a Mazda P5, that was also on my shortlist, dog will fit in hatch albeit a big snugly likely; if you have any feedback on the P5 would appreciate that.
Maybe looking for the impossible--hoping for some serious longer term reliability; had that with my first Subaru, feedback largely is that Honda/Toyota are way to go but not too into Toyota cars. Did have two Mazdas many, many years ago and they were pretty great too.

Thanks much

Old 02-25-2009, 09:59 AM

as long as its not american your headed in the right direction.

Now Now there American..Let's Play Nice

Last edited by WheelBrokerAng; 02-25-2009 at 07:58 PM. Reason: For Fun!
Old 02-25-2009, 10:03 AM

The Protege5 is an awesome car,i get roughly 26-27 mpg,should be more,but my car is not tuned properly at the moment..Once it is(very soon) i should be gettin about 30-32mpg

Handling is superb,and the cargo room is great.

As ar as the accord,basically the auto tranny should be what you should watch out for. And if that 98 accord has 60,000 miles,then seems like a good buy.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:58 PM

i moved from subaru to accord aswell mate... need to be careful on corners tho as it wont be the same. i am learning to brake and slow down before bends now rather than flooring it more...

nice choice - will definitely get better economy

Old 02-25-2009, 01:06 PM

Besides the transmission, they tend to have flaky ignition siwtches, but that is a recall item and shouldn't need to be worried about. I love my 99 5spd and haven't had any issues in the last 26,000 miles since I bought it (now at 194,000). 5spd is great for the gas mileage too, the extra gear over the auto greatly boosts the fuel economy. I get about 30 mpg and have gotten about 35 all highway.

Originally Posted by Underworld
i moved from subaru to accord aswell mate... need to be careful on corners tho as it wont be the same. i am learning to brake and slow down before bends now rather than flooring it more...
I can help you fix that....

Old 02-25-2009, 07:44 PM

Welcome! I cant type I had to type 'welcome' like six times haha

-$tanley

Old 02-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Administrator
Thumbs up Welcome New Member..

|I only had to type this one time..Welcome New Member...

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Soon to be newbie?