New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Welcome and little question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 07:14 AM
Default Welcome and little question?

Hi all, as i'm 2 days away from buying a 1996 Accord I'm happy to have joined and compare my Honda issues with others
I have been knowing this car for about 5 years now and actually have done work on it quite few times.
Its a 96 Accord LX as said with just hitting 117K. The car runs fine "knock on wood" and most of the work has been due to under carriage rust issues as break lines, exhaust issue's due to the New England weather.
Purge valves, O2 sensors etc.
As i've always had American cars and this being my first "import" i'm loving certain quality's in this Honda but can do without some of replacement part prices and my local yards seems to have there Honda's quite stripped.
I came across and issue recently and have mixed opinions on the answers that i've googled which alot of people seem to have. When the oil cap is removed it blows air like its pumping. No oil or smoke just basicly air.
This engine runs great and has been regular 3000 mile oil changes and it stays clean and no signs of coolant or gas in it. Normal exhaust smoke.
I will say this car needs a rear main seal as it leaks and have had a few 2nd opinions. It might go through a 1/2 quart every month.
It does though seem to leak on certain parts of the motor that makes it smoke and enough to smell at a stop light.
I read that the blowing out of the filler cap hole is normal and thats why its a screw type, and also hearing its needing a new PVC valve and will cause issues to the engine seals.
So i'm hoping for some related issue's and a few pointers.
Wondering if a rear main seal change involves what I think it does as needing to pull the motor and estimated cost
Oh my I forgot to mention its a non Vtech 4 cyl CA emissioned automatic.
Sorry for long hello and looking foward everyone

If i'm on the wrong thread for this subject please forgive me. I've posted some of these questions on the general help thread so if a Moderator feels the need to delete this please do

Last edited by PGSS; 07-27-2016 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Maby wrong section
Old 07-31-2016, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

If you have a post in Gen Tech, I'll just leave this one with a "Welcome to HAF". The tech answers will be in the other post.