New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Why Honda auto transmissions die

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 04:49 PM
Default Why Honda auto transmissions die

Honda auto transmissions die related to under engineered cooling....not enough cooling. Heat kills transmissions and Honda does not put proper cooling on their transmissions. They die early. Especially 1999 to 2004....but all with the Baja set up similar are at risk. Better add more cooling.

The coolant from the radiator goes to the transmission into this tiny cooler chamber that sits atop transmission. The transmission fluid does not run to the radiator.

Old 05-23-2021, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

I have no idea where you're getting your information from, but the transmission in my 2001 V6 Accord most definitely came from the factory with cooling lines which ran to the radiator.

Old 05-23-2021, 11:59 PM
Default Honda transmission poor heat control

Originally Posted by shipo
I have no idea where you're getting your information from, but the transmission in my 2001 V6 Accord most definitely came from the factory with cooling lines which ran to the radiator.
water or coolant runs in those lines from radiator to top of transmission, transmission fluid runs thru the round disc in the picture. Transmission fluid does not run to radiator. It gets "cooled" at the top of the tranny, in that round disc.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lee Goodwin
water or coolant runs in those lines from radiator to top of transmission, transmission fluid runs thru the round disc in the picture. Transmission fluid does not run to radiator. It gets "cooled" at the top of the tranny, in that round disc.
Ummm, no, incorrect. The device you're talking about is called an "ATF warmer", and it was decidedly not on my Gen6 Accord, and as far as I know, it wasn't on any Gen6 Accords; it did exist on some Gen 7 models though.

Old 05-24-2021, 08:47 AM
Default Honda transmission poor heat control

Originally Posted by Lee Goodwin
Honda auto transmissions die related to under engineered cooling....not enough cooling. Heat kills transmissions and Honda does not put proper cooling on their transmissions. They die early. Especially 1999 to 2004....but all with the Baja set up similar are at risk. Better add more cooling.

The coolant from the radiator goes to the transmission into this tiny cooler chamber that sits atop transmission. The transmission fluid does not run to the radiator.
anyway, the Baja transmission that Honda apparently puts in there transmission still, does not send transmission fluid to the radiator. Water from the radiator comes to it. It runs too hot. They took out the fill hole and added some fins to a small box like cooler that acts like a bypass that returns fluid to the top of gears near the engine end of the transmission.
This was an after market kind of design Honda apparently adopted by the time of my 14 Accord. Probably, The best way to fix Honda transmission over heat issues is to add an additional cooler somewhere in that flexible line that comes off the pump. Good luck. Honda makes great engines. They buy transmissions but they under engineered the cooling system and they have a high failure rate. Too bad they went away from manual transmissions.

Coolant, antifreeze, runs in the metal lines and tries to cool transmission fluid that comes up thru the O ring holes on the flat surface. It is held upside down for photo purposes. The transmission fluid runs thru a small surface area that is bathed in radiator coolant. It is a small surface area. This is the only area that uses the radiator to cool the transmission. The rest is air cooled, if any, and that area is smaller that a tennis ball....if you have it