New Member Area Are you new? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

yo

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 04:58 AM
Default yo

I'm just a poor college kid that ended up with a 1994 Honda Accord EX. It has a crate engine with a VTEC head. So now I am looking to do upgrades to my car that'll benefit both in performance and efficiency. In addition to that I am looking for ways to prolong the life of my car because I feel like its gonna fall apart anytime soon lol.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Default RE: yo

[sm=welcomesign.gif]
A crate engine with a VTEC head? Never heard of a Honda crate engine before. Pics?

Old 09-06-2007, 11:46 AM

I'll get you pics later this evening but by crate engine all I mean that the engine was replaced with an engine with only 80k miles on it from Japan. Or at least thats what the seller told me a year ago when I bought this car.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:56 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It's probably a replaced F22B2 engine. Stock for stock.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:57 AM

Or maybe something better[sm=proof.gif]
Look for the engine code stamped on the engine. To the left of the exhaustmanifold

Old 09-06-2007, 12:03 PM

True, true ..... I was only pointing out that the car came with VTEC. An 80k engine swapped in is unlikely to be special. Most performance engines are sold in the teens to thirty thousand miles.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:18 PM

no no by all means you are right

it was a stock for stock swap. I know its not great because my car is always lugging as if its breathing through a straw. I need help improving my car. I want this car to last me at least another 5 years.

Other than a short ram intake what else is feasible for me to do tht is not too expensive?

I use to have an altima in my younger days and when i installed a short ram intake I didn't even need piping. Do you know if that is still possible? All I did was pull out the filter box and put the intake in it's place.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:42 PM

hmmm ..... I guess you CAN just put a filter on the throttle body, but the air will be very turbulent and may cost you power. The tube straightens the air so it's more of a laminar flow, which is more efficient. If you're broke, take off the resonator first as this will reduce the restriction. A lightened crank pulley is a good idea (although there are members here that will disagree) ..... I have the UR set .... underdriven. You can gut the interior removing the rear seats to reduce weight. Headers for a 4 cylinder aren't that expensive for later on. If not a cat-back, you could get a 2" straight pipe welded into the exhaust to replace the stock pipe (leave the resonator intact though). If you're handy, I've seen intake pipes made from pvc with performance filters on them.

...... and I think that's about it for cheap power.