Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

F22B1 SOHC VTEC TURBO?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Default F22B1 SOHC VTEC TURBO?!

Hello all, I'd like an opinion on a turbocharger kit.

I have a 150k accord, brand new head gasket with intake/exhaust/strut braces. Other than those, the engine is stock.

I love the hell out of my car, and plan on just refurbishing/exchanging my engine when it breaks.

My question is, is it worth it to turbo my car? I know the VTEC is controversial, and I only would only run about medium to lower boost.

If it is a bad idea, then what would be better to increase acceleration?

Old 05-09-2008, 07:38 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: F22B1 SOHC VTEC TURBO?!

Auto or 5spd?

Should've just pulled the block and rebuilt it when you needed to do the head gasket if you wanted boost. Would've put you a few steps ahead.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:51 AM

Yeah I regret not doing a few things while it was all taken apart.

It's an automatic, however the transmission is starting to squeal. It's getting old and i'll need to replace it within the next year or two.

When the next lower-engine problem occurs I'm more than likely going to redo the whole thing. Drop a manual in there, buy a new or just refurbish the engine.

By the time I'm done, I want to install a turbo, whether it be on my current engine or new engine.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:07 AM

You might as well just rebuild it now and swap it to 5spd rather than try and do it later down the line when things start breaking.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:40 PM

how's everything else? compression, block, valves? it has quite a few miles on... do tranny first... and should have rebuild the engine while it was apart, like Blk said.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:39 PM

Frankly, I can't remember how the compression is. I have some NGK Iridiums on their way in the mail, so when Iinstall those bad boys I'll borrow a friend's gauge and check.

Hopefully! the compression is good and equal among cylinders, and there are no problems. However, even if there is nothing wrong at the moment, I can't imagine any moving mechanical part under pressure to last much more than 15 years, as many parts in my engine have.

So assuming things are getting ready to break, and assumingI'm going to turbo my current engine.....I'll need to replace any parts that can't handle the added pressure and just refurbish the ones that can. Pistons, piston rings, piston rods, valves, & crankshaft probably need to be inspected.

For right now I just want to take steps in the right direction. Should I start preparing to overhaul my current engine, or would it be wiser to do a complete engine swap?

Iwant longetivity out of my car, so I do not plan on boosting it too much. I'm trying to be vague on exactly what I'm looking for, because I want to feel out my options before I put my mind on one.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:11 PM

If you did a basic rebuild...

New pistons and rings (low comp)
New Rods
New head studs
All new bearings
Block honed
New T-belt, water pump, oil pump, + all gaskets
Get the head inspected with new seals
Have the crank inspected
Final assembly

A basic machine shop would or should be able to domost of this for you. You just have to price all the parts out.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:29 PM

And stay away from Aries pistons

Old 05-16-2008, 12:31 AM

Since you have a few miles on the car and your tranny sounds like it might go ill just go for the H22a swap. For what it is going to take to get your engine up to par for the turbo just go for the swap first. A jump from 145hp to 200hp with have better acceleration for your car which is what your looking for. after a while when that h22a is in and when you have some money again then go for a turbo. Im looking to do the same. everyone tells me to get a turbo for more power but im just going to wait until my engine or tranny dies and get the h22a swap. Plus it takes alot of work with the computer and all for a turbo upgrade. Plus our f22b1or2 isnt meant for a turbo so youll probably blow the engine pretty quick. Go for the engine swap. i found a website that has great prices on engines which pretty much come with everything > http://www.jdmtunersinc.com/

Old 05-16-2008, 03:48 PM

I haven't yet installed the new spark plugs, but I have discovered a problem the compression test will probably pick up: My car is leaking oil =(

The ground where I park my car is polka dotted with oil. It's not leaking horribly, but it seems her demise is approaching sooner than I thought.

I was looking around for a more local engine shop, and ends up there's one not 2 miles from my house:

http://www.usengine.us/

Is there any specific reason why an F22 can't handle or shouldn't handle a turbocharger?
Besides a little higher compression, what does the H22 have that makes it so much better with boost?

Quick Reply: F22B1 SOHC VTEC TURBO?!