Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

putting together a turbo for a friends civic

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Default putting together a turbo for a friends civic

ok, i am putting together a turbo for a friends civic and have questions, here is what we already have
t04e 50 .63 turbo
wastegate
turbo manifold

i pretty much know what else we need

intercooler and piping
downpipe
bov- (are there differnt types or sizes?)
injectors
oil feed and return line kit , ss
turbo gauge

anything else???don't i need a turbo timer or something to regulate turbo psi??

here is my understanding on how to run the turbo-,,, mount manifold and wastegate and turbo to car, run downpipe down from 5 bolt flange, run intercooler piping from turbo 2in to intercooler and out of other side of intercooler run piping to intake. run oil drainline to oil pan, run oil supply line to stock oil sensor by oil filter. place air filter on turbo. what else do i need to know,-where do i place bov?? finally in this pic what are the two things i have circled in yellow??i believe bov i dunno

[IMG]local://upfiles/16797/4413AA78E33A496E9DA60B2F9592E4D4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: putting together a turbo for a friends civic

yeah looks like blow offs...

and yeah, there's many types and sizes; i'm sure there's a specific size you want though.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:32 PM

do you need 2 bov's???

Old 07-03-2008, 05:41 AM

the one to your right it's an external wastegate... the wastegate goes in top of the manifold (or to the side) , the BOV goes before the throttle. I'll get back at you in a sec..

Old 07-03-2008, 05:49 AM

fuel pump, fuel rail, new timing belt (just a precaution), MSD 6AL, iridium spark plugs, MSD ignition, MSD Wires to plugs (I know, i forgot the name, it's like 6:46am here), not to mention internals: pistons, rods, valves, forged block, ect.... I have a list of what I bought for mine around here somewhere... that's all i can remember, If something comes up, i'll write it. Good luck dude. It looks like your way into the project.. or is that not your friend's car?

What injector size are you gonna use?

Old 07-03-2008, 06:19 AM

timing belt was just done, just put irridium plugs in and top notch wires as well, probably only going for 6 psi boost so not goona go with new fuel pump at first, thinking about 450 injectors, no not my car,i'm just putting it together and installing it, so you need an external wastegate, the manifold has some sort of oval shaped cut out for something to be mounted to it with two bolts, i guess that would be the external wastegate, thanks kevin, you've been a big help

Old 07-03-2008, 10:02 AM

Kevin: An MSD AL6 will fry iridium plugs! Better off with double plats with a lower temp by 1 or 2 steps. If he wants to push a bit of nitrous and a capacative discharge ignition, ZEX plugs are the way to go.

OP: Kevin already answered this, but the wastegate goes on the exhaust side and the BOV on the intake side. BOV should be as close to the throttle body as possible (shorter lines = quicker actuation .... it's control lines straddle the TB). A turbo timer isn't necessary unless the turbo is pushed hard alot IF fully synthetic oil is used. IMO Amsoil is the best bet for a turbo engine. If your friend is going to be drag racing everywhere he goes, get the timer. A turbo timer keeps the car idling with the key out for a pre-set amount of time so the turbo and oil can cool down. This is to prevent the oil from cooking inside the turbo. A boost controller is a different thing. That controls the amount of boost. It is not necessary, but it adds a good amount of power even without changing the max boost level since it keeps the wastegate from leaking like it does in full mechanical operation.

Good luck! Sounds like a fun project!

Old 07-03-2008, 12:44 PM

definatly should be fun, thanks for some clarification falk, just wish i was doing it to my accord, ( i will be soon ) no funds right now for my own project, but when i comes time for mine to be turboed i'll have the knowledge and experience from this piece together and install.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:34 PM

definately .... also, your friend should have 3 gauges. Boost, Oil Pressure and AF with a wideband O2. AEM makes a pretty cool combo gauge for boost pressure and is also a boost controller.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:39 PM

cool, i'll have to check that out

Quick Reply: putting together a turbo for a friends civic