Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Supercharger Reliablity

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 01:29 AM
Default Supercharger Reliablity

for some odd reason a supercharger is starting to appeal to me even after the attractiveness of the BOV whistle...seen lots of vids on a supercharger and have never heard one in person until a nice 04 cobra pulls up next to me at a light and tells me i have a nice accord (sensed the sarcasm from a muscle car junkie) revs his engine but not too high...light turns green and i jus easily coast..lol...long story short he speeds off and i hear the high pitched whistle of a supercharger under the hood...how sweet it sounded....even tho 30 secs later he got pulled over..lol

are superchargers more reliable than a turbo??...not really at high levels then again im not sure exactly how much a 4 banger could handle..added that its a automatic...but trust me the manual swap will come in soon just prolly after the FI. so cut and dry is the supercharger more reliable than a turbo at the same psi?

Old 03-10-2009, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by AccordLXMaster
for some odd reason a supercharger is starting to appeal to me even after the attractiveness of the BOV whistle...seen lots of vids on a supercharger and have never heard one in person until a nice 04 cobra pulls up next to me at a light and tells me i have a nice accord (sensed the sarcasm from a muscle car junkie) revs his engine but not too high...light turns green and i jus easily coast..lol...long story short he speeds off and i hear the high pitched whistle of a supercharger under the hood...how sweet it sounded....even tho 30 secs later he got pulled over..lol

are superchargers more reliable than a turbo??...not really at high levels then again im not sure exactly how much a 4 banger could handle..added that its a automatic...but trust me the manual swap will come in soon just prolly after the FI. so cut and dry is the supercharger more reliable than a turbo at the same psi?
ROFL I bet he got pulled over because the cop problably heard it from a mile away! It's weird, yesterday I had a dream I was at another accord meet, I wanted to get pizza so I went with this girl who had a supercharged accord and some other guy. She told me I could drive it a little on the way back. Then my dream went retarted in a way I don't feel like typing it. Then I realized it was a dream and started asking them what forums they were from and then they didn't know any of the ones I mentioned. Then I woke up. Anyways I figure that turbos are more reliable because superchargers are always putting stress on the engine while turbos can stay out of boost. Also the engine does not have to turn an extra belt for a turbo wereas for a supercharger it does and if it breaks, it can cause damage to the engine.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by AccordLXMaster

This is a question for the ages. They've pretty much been fighting about this since not long after WWI with the introduction of a supercharged engine and the turbo charged engine. In this time it was mostly used for aircraft which is why the debate is different then it is for us. Personally, after setting up and using superchargers on 4 cars I've owned I'm biased. I had a supercharger on my BMW for many miles with out issue. So this begs the questions. What PSI do you want to run, are you upgrading internals, are you willing to add a 3rd pedal to your car, and finally is it really worth it?

Old 03-14-2009, 08:37 AM
Supper Moderator

what are your power goals? Like said above your turbo isnt working until you make it work unlike a supercharger is always working. For the money IMO go w/ the turbo you will make more power for less money. Iv seen some h22 supercharged and they are fast but nothing compared to the turbo.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Here are my thoughts:

SC vs. TC reliability - SC has an edge of less points of failure due to less control devices, no exhaust side (high temp) and no engagement power spike.

Engine w/ FI - SC has an edge due to constant engagement vs. large power augmentation.

TC advantages - Significantly more power can be pulled from a stock small engine with acceptable reliability.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:42 PM
Administrator
Talking

Agreeing with the Falkore and his fact and anology...

WheelBrokerAng
Clic the pic!

Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2009, 07:03 PM

How many RPMs does the blower turn in a SC? The 120,000 to 150,000rpm of a turbine would worry me. Anything at that speeds needs some serious maintenance to keep running. I'd be concerned about the longevity of the turbo itself. Or are these things somehow built to last? 120,000 rpms isn't all that fast for a turbine anyways. Tiny R/C turbines turn 200,000 plus RPMs.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by t00fatt
How many RPMs does the blower turn in a SC? The 120,000 to 150,000rpm of a turbine would worry me. Anything at that speeds needs some serious maintenance to keep running. I'd be concerned about the longevity of the turbo itself. Or are these things somehow built to last? 120,000 rpms isn't all that fast for a turbine anyways. Tiny R/C turbines turn 200,000 plus RPMs.
I believe around the same. The SC is geared to spin hella faster than the crank pulley it's on. But, I would think a screw-type could move more air at lower RPMs than a centrifugal design. The centrifugal ones are basically compressors on shafts instead of on a turbine. SC are fully capable of supplying nearly the same amount of boost, on an SC you can buy different gears, just like changing out the springs on a wastegaste.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:36 PM

^ Laziest spammer ever.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:57 AM

that was about as lazy as putting colored film over headlights instead of buying real HIDs...