Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

What kind of boost can my engine handle?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Default What kind of boost can my engine handle?

I look at everyone saying that if you were to get a turbo to set it at 8 psi max...does this only apply to the 6th gens or is 8 psi also max for a 7th gen engine (k24)?

Old 10-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Default RE: What kind of boost can my engine handle?

it's a max on almost all automatic equipped cars

Old 10-10-2007, 11:38 PM

i see, and how much horsepower gain do you get out of 8 psi?

Old 10-11-2007, 12:04 AM

i think it depends on a lot of things like the turbo itself, the motor, etc..
I'm not very knowledge when it comes to turbo so lets just wait until some more people can chime in haha

Old 10-11-2007, 12:31 AM

It does depend a lot on the motor and turbo. A lower flow turbo is going to get you less of an increase than a higher flow even at the same boost. Also turbo's of any size don't get you a specific horsepower number. THe same turbo on two different engines will get different horsepower. Turbo's can be more accurately gauged a s a percentage power increase. SUch as a particular turbo might give you a 50% power increase. So that turbo in a smaller engine will give less hp increase number wise than that same turbo in a larger engine.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:25 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

8 psi is typically safe for stock internals. Engines with "special" sleeves like the H22's FRM's or the K and F's cast iron can handle much more!

To add to Shadow's post, a K20 motor with 18 psi will typically put out around 450 HP. Shadow, do you have a block guard in there? Stock sleeves?

Old 10-11-2007, 10:43 AM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

8 psi is typically safe for stock internals. Engines with "special" sleeves like the H22's FRM's or the K and F's cast iron can handle much more!

To add to Shadow's post, a K20 motor with 18 psi will typically put out around 450 HP. Shadow, do you have a block guard in there? Stock sleeves?
FRM sleeves suck, there is nothing special or great about them. Ductile Iron sleeves like those found in almost all the F series engines are the strongest. In the long run though it doesnt matter how strong the sleeves are, the piston rings will give out long before the sleeves will.

If he has a 2.5L H22...and that much HP...he does not have stock sleeves. More than likely its a closed deck H22 so he doesnt neet a block guard.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:52 AM

H22 was closed? If the rings are going to give out first, why do FRM's suck? Please post max HP from either to back your assertions. I know a bit about the K's and that the F's have the cast sleeves.

I'm looking for fact here, not opinion.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:23 PM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

H22 was closed? If the rings are going to give out first, why do FRM's suck? Please post max HP from either to back your assertions. I know a bit about the K's and that the F's have the cast sleeves.

I'm looking for fact here, not opinion.
For certain years H22's were closed deck, meaning you could not see around the cylinder walls when you pulled the head off the block. The newer (later) years were open deck, so when you pulled the head off you could see the coolant around the cylinder walls. FRM sleeves suck b/c you can't bore them out, aren't compatible with forged pistons, if the sleeves are able to be honed it takes a different process than iron sleeves. H22's are high compression motors, boosting them in the first place is not a good idea.

What good is posting max HP going to do?

Old 10-11-2007, 01:24 PM

I think max hp would be a debatable topic anyways........

Quick Reply: What kind of boost can my engine handle?