Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

What preperation work needs to be done?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:21 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Question What preperation work needs to be done?

I've done research, and I know how the turbo charges work. I know how to install the turbo kit.

What I don't know, is what kind of preparation work I need to do beforehand.

I've tried looking it up. Googling things like "Prep turbo" or "Turbo charger preparations". I can't find anything. I find all kinds of places explaining how to install the kit itself, but not what to do beforehand.

The only somewhat helpful (And very small amount of info) I've managed to find was this: Someone said that you need to get custom oil lines, a bigger exhaust (Which I'm already getting, regardless of the turbo) and new fuel delivery. That helps about... 2%. lol.

I'm turbo charging a stock f22b1 engine. The engine has 200,000 miles on it, but almost every one of those miles were driven by the old couple who had it before me, and probably didn't hit 4000RPM often.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Supper Moderator

Relocate the bat. to the truck
Bigger injectors
Fuel pump
Depending on what turbo mani your using delete a/c and maybe power steering and might have to notch out your front engine mount or even remove it.
That’s all I can think of right now.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Delete AC and power steering and engine mount???

Old 04-09-2010, 08:31 AM

that would probably be an extreme to remove all those. especially if plan to go big, but since youre turboing the stock motor, just get a good log style manifold and a good t3/t4 turbo. spoolin performance has a nice manifold that clears a/c and ps i believe. check it out.

prep wise, check your car out. is it a manual? if so hows the clutch? automatics are a pain to turbo and you will need a tranny cooler. hows your suspension? get it checked and have an alignment. will your tires be enough to hook up? just generally have the car in good working order before you turbo. more power can cause some serious unwanted conditions. hows the state of your water pump and timing belt? leak any oil? get a compression test on all cylinders. tune up the engine. once the car is in good stock order then begin the modification.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Supper Moderator

Originally Posted by HondaAccordEX94
Delete AC and power steering and engine mount???
Depends on what manifold you use. If you use a eaby cast mani you can get away with not deleting that stuff but you won’t get the best performance unless you use a good turbo mani. Allot of the manis will make you have to delete your ac and p/s and sometime front engine mount or notch it. Do some research you will see what I'm talking about.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I replied to your other post too...but i did the exact same thing and heres what you need to know:

Your Ac and power steering can stay...but you will need a custom downpipe ...it is a very tight fit. so is the turbo...what size are you putting in? and depending on what kind of manifold you get you may have to chop out a notch of your engine mount. you will need bigger injectors...around 350-500cc and a new fuel pump. New ignition...i recommend msd wires,cap and external coil. New sparks of course...NGK iridium and laser platinum are good. if its a manual check your master and slave cylinders as well as your throwout bearing, clutch, and pressure plate. if there is a slight problem now it will only get worse. and DO A COMPRESSION TEST. doesnt matter who drove it better be safe than on the side of the road. Other than that you should be good. Your exhaust should be replaced of course, your air intake will be ripped out, and your battery will probably need to be moved. I changed the direction of mine but now i dont have room for my coolant container. the oil pan will have to be dropped to put in the oil return line. are you planning on putting an innercooler in?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:24 PM

ya u can keep the ac and power steering but your going to have to give a lot of other stuff up. Something's gotta give if you want a good turbo.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

not true. i've kept all of it and my car has been running smooth for aver 3 years... right Ang?

Old 07-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb Holy Molly

Yes it has Kevin..sorry I missed this post for so long..but I finally got caught up to it..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 07-24-2010, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by HondaAccordEX94
I'm turbo charging a stock f22b1 engine. The engine has 200,000 miles on it, but almost every one of those miles were driven by the old couple who had it before me, and probably didn't hit 4000RPM often.
Im sorry, but this is a common misconception... Its actually because the fact that the car was not driven hard, or taken over 4k that you do not want to turbocharge this stock motor... This motor has not ever seen this kind of abuse, and should not be started now as you could do severe damage to it...

Quick Reply: What preperation work needs to be done?