Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:14 PM
Default Is it worth it?

I am turbocharging my F23 in a few months and I plan on beefing up some of my internals and my auto-matic transmission. I plan on running 9-11 PSI. I don't drive my car but maybe40 miles a week so my question is, would it be worth it to buy another F23 engine with less miles (mine has 110k)and do all this work on it rather than doing it to my factory engine? That way I would have my factory motor to fall back on if I screwed up the turbocharged one. Also,how does buying a jdm F23 engine off of ebay work? Do I have to swap them anything or can I buy one straightout? Any help is appreciated. Here is a link to one of the engines I am looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...spagenameZWDVW

Old 05-25-2007, 01:10 PM
Default RE: Is it worth it?

I'm pretty sure you just buy it straight out. What do you mean by "swap them anything"?
Best thing to do would be to email the seller and ask. Also ask for a price quote on the shipping. Looks to me like the "free shipping" is only to business addresses.
Notice they said: "JDM Engines corp. offers $ FREE flat shipping charge to a Business address all over United States (Except Alaska, Hawaii, PR)!"

Old 05-25-2007, 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

I'm pretty sure you just buy it straight out. What do you mean by "swap them anything"?
Best thing to do would be to email the seller and ask. Also ask for a price quote on the shipping. Looks to me like the "free shipping" is only to business addresses.
Notice they said: "JDM Engines corp. offers $ FREE flat shipping charge to a Business address all over United States (Except Alaska, Hawaii, PR)!"
The bottom of the page says:
The flat shipping charge is applicable only to business addresses, for residential areas there will be applicable fees.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:20 PM

i suppose yopu arent doing the swap yourself. So you might want to find a shop that will do it for you. Then talk to them about shipping it to the shop this way you get free shipping. Also since your going thorugh all the work of a engine swap, you might as well try to get a packaged deal with a manual tranny. Running 9-10 psi on a tranny that has 110k on it doesnt sound like a godd idea. Thos things are bad enough.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:18 PM

Well if I get an engine i will get it shipped to my dad's business address at his car lot. That way shipping will be free. And yes I will have a mechanic( a very qualified one)to install the engine and turbo. As for the transmission, won't a transmission shop be able to prepare my tranny for the extra power? I know I will need a new torque convertor with higher stall and maybe a shift kit.I meanthe tranny should hold up even though it has 110k miles on it shouldn't it?

Old 05-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yes it should. and so the engine. There's no need for a swap. unless you didn't take care of the engine, it should be fine. If u don't know, then open up ur engine and check it. it should be way cheaper than buying a new motor.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:02 PM

My engine is fine and I am having second thoughts about purchasing another one. I am still wondering if i can beef up my tranny to handle 9-10 psi though? Also what internal engine work would u guys recommend? And where can I find aftermarket engine parts such as pistons, rods, bearings, vavles, etc?

Old 05-29-2007, 12:29 AM

just a transmission cooler. but u should run a safe 8psi. that's a lot of hp u know.... (by the way, i started mounting the turbo today, i'll tell u what happens later, whish me a LOT of luck!)

Old 05-29-2007, 12:40 AM

ORIGINAL: j_man_honda

My engine is fine and I am having second thoughts about purchasing another one. I am still wondering if i can beef up my tranny to handle 9-10 psi though? Also what internal engine work would u guys recommend? And where can I find aftermarket engine parts such as pistons, rods, bearings, vavles, etc?
You're better off just swapping to manual to fully appreciate and handle the power you're going after. For 9-10 psi....compression check and a good tuning software, Greddy E-manage or AEM EMS.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:34 PM

Iam not trying to scare you or anything with the transmisson but its my 2 cents. Also i just wnated to thorw the idead of port and polishing out there. Nice thing to do if your gonna turbo.

Quick Reply: Is it worth it?