Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

1 plate or 2 ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 12:11 PM
Default 1 plate or 2 ?

Although I've had the pleasure of traveling to & through 45 of the 50 States, I've spent most of my life as a citizen of Kentucky (Louisville) and now have resided in Ohio for the past 15 years.

Kentucky uses a 1 licence plate system whereas Ohio has 2.. front & rear. Appearance wise, I prefer 1 plate.

More than once, Ohio legislators have considered dropping the front plate as a means to create revenue... i.e.: charge the same amount of money for 1 plate while cutting material and production costs.

As I've never liked the looks of having a plate on the front, I am in favor of using a rear-only plate. The major opponent to the possibility is the F.O.P, both State and regional for obvious reasons.

Is your State 1 or 2, what are your thoughts on the matter?

Last edited by Prospector; 05-18-2015 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Texas requires 2 plates although many cars don't have them and requirement is loosely enforced. I always assumed front plates were for ID of car approaching a policeman.

Purists who think an unadorned bumper looks better don't like them. I don't have a problem w/ them.

good luck

Old 05-18-2015, 03:47 PM

Same here, Texas... even though required by law, quite a number of people here in Ohio refuse to mount the front plate citing aesthetics as the reason. Yeah, right.. like that is going to fly in court

I don't like the front plate, however as long as it's the law... I don't need the hassle of the citation

Old 05-24-2015, 02:36 PM

CA requires both front and rear. Citations issued for no front plate if a CA plate is mounted on the rear. However, that is subject to interpretation by the issuing officer. Being that a number of front plates were stolen and placed on the back of stolen cars, the issuing officer has the option for a warning based on evidence. I've had a plate stolen so I've been through this. Also had a motorcycle plate stolen off a bike while parked at a local mall. I started using tamper proof torque fasteners for a while but haven't had issues since....sean

Old 05-24-2015, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the information, Sean... most interesting

Old 05-24-2015, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

2 plates in Ohio, doesn't seem like it's really enforced, but my wife got a ticket for it while driving my car. Funny thing is, the village's "favorite" body shop & tow guy has never had a front plate on his S2000.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:14 PM

I hear ya, Jim... sometimes it's all about who's who

Where I live is only a few blocks away from this district's police station and the street is used as a thoroughfare. Even though we have a driveway, sometimes one of our cars is parked on the street (which is legal)... my Magnum had a very light smoke tint on the licence covers... the police ticketed the car and I was forced to remove the tinted covers... but the only one they seemed to be concerned about was the one on the rear

Old 05-25-2015, 12:25 AM
Administrator
Talking

One or two plates makes no difference to me..what ever they want is fine with me as long as I don't get a ticket.

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails 1 plate or 2 ?-grateful_nation.jpg  
Old 05-25-2015, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator

New Hampshire is two plates. And I got a ticket for no front plate within 2 miles of driving it after taking it off.

But now I live in NC where it is only 1 plate and since they don't know NH laws I just have a plate on he back. And put a front one on when I drive home.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:50 PM

Good solution, live2rice

Quick Reply: 1 plate or 2 ?