Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Aftermarket Security System/keyless entry Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 12:05 PM
dls725
Unregistered
Default Aftermarket Security System/keyless entry Recommendations

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2001 Honda Accord Coupe LX. I was quoted over $250+ from a Honda Dealership to install a key less entry system (is that the same as a security system)?

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good after market system that would work with my car? Thanks in advance!

Old 09-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Aftermarket Security System/keyless entry Recommendations

i have compustar, and couldnt be happier with it

Old 09-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Well, installation is going to run you about $150 and then whatever system you get is probably going to be at least another $200+ tacked on so... maybe stick with Honda?

Old 09-15-2008, 12:41 PM

If your going to get an alarm I always suggest getting a 2-way remote alarm. Ive got a new Viper that works from 2000ft away which is double the distance of most alarms today and added the remote start also. BTW keyless entry doesnt always mean alarm.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:10 PM
dls725
Unregistered

Thank you very much for all the responses.

I did some research and I am looking into the Viper 5900. Does anyone recommend it? Is it good?

Do anyone know where I can find the installation guide for this system?

Old 09-15-2008, 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: dls725

Thank you very much for all the responses.

I did some research and I am looking into the Viper 5900. Does anyone recommend it? Is it good?

Do anyone know where I can find the installation guide for this system?

It will come with one. I hope you are experienced with wiring and tearing the dash apart if you plan to DIY. I did mine and it was time consuming, but worth it. BTW, DIY WILL VOID THE ALARM WARRANTY.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:44 PM

The 5900 is a decent alarm also but you will eat up remote batterys every 3 months. But they are AAA batterys and easy to replace.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:12 PM

I used to have a Clifford RSX 3.5 or somthing in 2005. The range outside was ok, said 1000ft got maybe 800ft. Once you went inside or behind somthing the range cuts out. The signal doesn't go through anything denser than air. It was a few years ago so maybe they are using a diffrent frequency or higher ampetude now to help with that. I never found myself in a position where the 2 way was going to tell me somthing about the car that I couldn't hear or see for myself. It only has signal if your close or there isn't much mass between the two. When I'm that close I'll hear my alarm going off while my 2 way beeps. I just think 2 way feature is a bit overrated. However the remote start was bulletproof. I used it for almost two years on a surburban with perfect starts everytime.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

if range is what you want you cant beat compustar, my friend that has the same system i do locked his car which about at the red arrow from where the picture was taken(there was someone at the car to confirm it).
Name:  IMG_1073-1-1.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  43.8 KB

Old 09-16-2008, 08:34 AM

I have the Automate lcd 2-way which is made by Viper and went off about 200 yards away when I was in TGIF`s resturant because someone backed into my truck. Lucky she hit my steel bumper and broke her tail light. The problem with the lcd remote is when the battery gets weak it cuts the distance dramaticly. But there were a number of times my alarm went off that I was in anplace were I couldnt hear the alarm but I heard my remote. Now I got that in 05. My Viper 5701responder LE Led alarms up the anti in features, distance, installation, reliability and over all performance. My wife and I also tested it inside a mall to see if the remote would work if the alarm went off and it did. And at a distance I know my lcd 2-way on my truck wouldnt have worked. Like stated above the remote starter works floorlessly on both systems.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Security System/keyless entry Recommendations