Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Ang - Calling you out :)

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default Ang - Calling you out :)

Ok, I took the job/role of "mod" on the fact that I would get a penny for every 1,000 posts - yet first payment would be due when I got to a dime - just had to mail Ang a self addressed envelope with postage.

So here it is, 10K....you owe me a dime Ang. I'm going to spend .43 cents to send you an envelope with a self-addressed envelope in it with postage....another .43 cents, so I can get a dime from you.

Dang, I guess I am that stupid......

Anyway, it is one of those things that makes me step back and think...my life is really that sad but somewhere along the way I "HOPE" someone was able to fix their car with "free info" and I made a friend or two along the way.

Thanks to everyone.....now back to reading and just trying to help

Old 01-09-2015, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, I want a raise so I can be on par with you.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Now that is a paycheck well earned.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by live2rice
Now that is a paycheck well earned.
How have you been doing?

I was just wondering the other day as I haven't heard from you in a while. The wife gives me updates here and there from FB but that is about it.

Ya'll know I get a little bored every now and then and post "way off" topic....just trying to have a little fun

Old 01-11-2015, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Staying busy that is for sure. Wish I had more time to come on here, but I fire up the computer once a month or so.

Kind of at a cross roads in my military career where I need to decide to stay in or get out and I'm not too sure which one to do.

I hope all is well on your end, especially with your wife's health. And I haven't seen a picture of any new car parked in your driveway, what's up with that?

Old 01-11-2015, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Still thinking about OCS? I know at one point you talked about that.

Since her surgery things have been "pretty" good. Had a small issue at the begining of the year.....but it is looking better in the last few days.

I've almost.....almost given up on the manual trans and willing to go with an auto. About a week ago there was a '14 TL SH-AWD with 5k miles (auto of course) at Carmax in Greensboro...it was like Thursday and by Saturday (when I was going to go look at it) it was gone. I should have called them, on Thursday when I saw it online, and had them transfer it here

So, yes I just can't make up my mind....'15 TLX, low mile 14 TL or just go with a '15 Accord. I like the idea of AWD, not for weather but more for corners . Yea I drive like an old fart, which I am, 99% of the time but every now and then I like to "throw it off in a corner".....but since that is only 1% of the time, that is why the Accord is still in the hunt.

Old 01-11-2015, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by poorman212
Still thinking about OCS? I know at one point you talked about that.
Having gone through both Marine Corps Boot Camp (MCRD San Diego 1976), and then Marine Corps OCS (Quantico 1977) I can tell you the two are about as different as can be. The starkest difference I remember was like this:
  • Boot: The Gunnery Sargeant explained in detail, at least 100 times, everything there is to know about the "M16A1 .223 caliber semi-recoilless rifle" (I'll remember that phrase until the day I die). If you didn't pass the test, Gunny took you through it again, and again, and again until you passed.
  • OCS: The Gunnery Sargeant took us through the rifle exactly one time, gave us a booklet, told us to learn it, and then we got a test. If we didn't pass, we were booted out of OCS.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Ocs is out of the question for me, way too long of a commitment. My problem is I want to get out of the army. I discovered this when I was home on leave. Not sure what it was, I had been on leave before, but this time I just realized that I really want a job where I can come home everyday to my wife and kid, and be in New Hampshire close to family and friends.

The problem arises in that I really dislike the job and place that I work at now, and I really don't want to have to ride out the 2 years and change I have left in the army there. I can change my job to a better job, but it requires adding on another 2 years to my contract.

Well I think it's time to make a move Scott. If it were me I'd just buy a used one with a manual transmission. Having an auto just really isn't the same, and I have an auto right now lol.

I am hoping to finally getting around to replacing the struts on my volvo soon. Just replaced a leaking oil cooler line today.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

"Rice" - the issue is finding a TL with a manual is like winning the lottery....at least a newer one, '13 or newer.

Yea, I remember one of those oil lines had a "weep".

All I can say about the "job" is ride out what you have. The education plus the "Army" looks real good when trying to find a job. Any ideas of the area/industry you might go for?

Old 01-11-2015, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

I would try and get a job in the criminal justice field, ideally parole/probation. As a back up NH is home to sig sauer and ruger who cannot find enough help and pay pretty decent with benefits.

The problem lies in that the cost of living is so much higher in NH. The house I have here would easily cost double back there so we will probably have to make due with a much smaller house.

You don't happen to have a spring compressor do you?

I would just keep waiting for a manual and be ready to move quick when you find one available.

Quick Reply: Ang - Calling you out :)