Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

AWD maintenance frequency and cost of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Default AWD maintenance frequency and cost of ownership

I have some questions for those of you who own an AWD car or SUV (no trucks, please) that is beyond the warranty period.

(Because I'm particularly interested in the Outlander, I'd really like to hear from owners of that vehicle, but, after all, this is the HAF, so beggers can't be choosers. My wife and I are leaning towards the Outlander V6 with the traditional trans, but I go back and forth between front-wheel-drive-only and the AWD versions. I know absoutely nothing about AWD drive systems beyond the fact that they send engine power to all four wheels under certain circumstances. I'm particularly interested to learn if the AWD system starts to require much more maintenance right after the warranty period ends. What I'm trying to determine is whether AWD's advertised benefits far outweigh its far-less advertised costs.)

1. What is the year, make, model of, and miles on, your AWD vehicle?

2. How reliable has the AWD system been? (Did the AWD system require much maintenance during the warranty period? Does it now require much more after warranty?)

3. What repairs have you had to do to your AWD system and what's the price of the repairs? (Do the "electionics" of the AWD system fail, or is it just moving components that wear out or leak?)

4. Most importantly, as a result of your experience with your AWD vehicle, would you buy the same or another vehicle that has AWD?

Thanks for the information.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I have an Acura MDX w/ AWD and it's been very reliable.

Only maintenance on AWD is replacement of the rear wheel drive fluid at 30k miles or 2 years. Mine is due again. Fluid looks new when replaced, but may be some friction properties that break down.

Here in Houston, AWD is not necessary so any overhead is a loss. My wife liked the car (used purchase) and now my son drives.

If you drive on roads where AWD may benefit, there may be enough value to justify.

Biggest downside is weight and friction of extra drive parts. It probably cost 10% on fuel mileage (a guess).

good luck

Old 04-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Well at least you got one good honest answer so far Tony

Old 05-02-2013, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

I used to have a Saab 9.2x which is a re-badged Subaru WRX.

There was the rear differential oil, but changing that was on par with changing gearbox oil.

There's more driveshafts, more CV joints, etc, so as it get older there's more STUFF that is eventually going to wear out. All that extra stuff is weight & friction, so 10% hit on fuel is somewhere in the right ballpark.

The AWD system seems like it would have been reliable, since it was reasonably conventional stuff. It wasn't the STi version with all the electro/computer control gizmos. But unfortunately I blew up the engine at a racetrack before it had a chance to really become an OLD car.