Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

BEWARE HONDA WARRANTEES R NO GOOD

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Default BEWARE HONDA WARRANTEES R NO GOOD

Hello Everyone
I wanted to post about a very very disturbing thing that I found out today about Honda and their dealerships. I have a 96 Honda Accord and ever since I bought it 3 years ago it had a check engine light issue. I took my car to my local Honda dealership not long after I purchased it because I was informed of a extended emissions warranty. This warranty stated that Honda will cover almost any problem with this car that would make the check engine light come on. I took it to this dealershipnamed Everhart Honda in Statesville NC. I was told there that they did a complete tune up on my car along with changing the 02 sensor.I was very appreciative. Idrove my car and not long the check engine light was back on. So I took my car back to the dealership. They then told me that the valves needed to be readjusted and the fuel injectors needed to be replaced. I said great. They set up an appointment to do these repairs. Then later onin the day they called me and told me to never bring my car back. I didn't understand this at all. I was very nice to allof the service people I mean who wouldn't be if your car was getting fixed for free. So I then called Honda USA they told me to make another appointment with another dealership. They said that they can't make their dealerships do repairs orhonor warrantees if they don'twant to. So I then took my car to Honda of Concord NC. Honda arranged a rental car for mefor two days while my car was beingfixed. Thisdealership replaced another 02 sensor and gaveme my car back. And of course within a day my check engine light wasback on. So then I went to another dealership which is Honda of Lake Norman in NC. My husband told the service manager about the whole story of events that has lead us tohis dealership. He said it's really no problem let's find out whats wrong and we'll fix it. So they had my car for about 3 days and said that there was 9trouble codes stored in the computer.He thensaid thatthere wasantifreezesprayed all over the engine compartment (which was a lie) and he said that we needed a new radiator cap. He also said this is whythetrouble codes were coming up. So we went to pick the car up. Hetried to charge us for the diagnostic ($60) and for the radiator cap.We ask nicely for the codes that were printed out from the computer. He had them written down on a paper on the service desk. He would not give it to us. He then told us to leave hisdealership. I was so pissed then I let him have it.I wish during all of this we would of taped our conversations with these people. We could of easily sued. But recently we took the car to our mechanic that we trust and he told us that the 02 sensor was the oringinal factory part along withall the other parts that he replaced. I could not believe this!!!! My car is now over the 150,000 mile warranty so I can not berepaid from Honda for the repairs.I JUST THINK ALL OF YOU NEED TO BE AWARE THAT WARRANTEES MEAN NOTHING TOHONDA ALONG WITH YOUR BUSINESS!!!! I WILL NEVER EVER BUY A HONDA AGAIN UNLESS I'M PLANNING TO MARRY A MECHANIC!!!I hope none of you go through what I have...
Breeze

Old 10-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Default RE: BEWARE HONDA WARRANTEES R NO GOOD

ive had excellent experences with the warrantee. Along with the several mods ive done they still manage to find things that are covered by the warantee. Like my steering rack, it was cracked a while back and they replaced it without question. Sorry to hear about your troubles with the dealerships.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:37 AM

I too am worried the stealerships around here will try to pull one on me on my 95 V6. The CEL is on and I know it's for the o2 sensor. I would not be surprised if they tried to tell me something extra was wrong. That's why I haven't taken it to them yet. The emissions related components on the 5th gen's are covered on Honda Service Bulletin 98-081until 150k miles or 14 years as you said above.

Breeze: you should go to a local news station and tell them your story. If they want some juicy news, they will go to the dealerships you visited and ask them on TV why they screwed you on your extended warranty. That may at least take some business away from the crooks.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:41 AM

Sounds more like a dealer problem as opposed to warranty but the outcome was not good either way.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:55 PM

Thanks for the nice feed back. I just wanted to inform everyone especially if they live in my area about these dealerships. My car is now finally fixed and really I'm so happy I don't see that stupid CEL anymore. I just wish I could of realised what these dealerships were doing before my warranty was up. I could of been able to have Honda pay the $830.00 bill that I just paid. Would of, Should of, Could of, Right? Oh Well.. At least I don't have to worry aboutmy state inspection anymore.I wanted to say Thank you guys for reading my longbook of a story. You guys are great!!

Breeze

Old 10-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I guess next time this happens to anyone I would go get the codes read at a parts store before I went to the dealer and see if they match up with what the tech is saying.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:39 PM

What was the end issue that was repaired to make it go away?

Old 10-21-2007, 10:37 PM
nicokpe
Unregistered

depend on the information above, i will more careful
thanks

Old 10-22-2007, 04:39 PM

Sir I am regretably writing again and guess what the check engine light is back on. The reason I took it to the mechanic was because the car was severly losing power when you get up to 3000 to 4000 rpms. I would push in the gas and the car acted like it was going to die. We then went to autozone theproblem thatprinted out from the computer was that the car was running rich.Since then the mechanic replaced the o2 sensor, the gas filter, the belts, and my husband replaced the battery(because the car was having problems starting), and the oil and filter was changed, and the car has new spark plugs. At this point we put more than $1,000 in the car to fix it and the check engine light is still not off. Prior to this all of these things were the things that Honda said they had fixed. We have done alot to the car to make it better than factory but we are not seeing the pay off. The bottom line is that we should ofnever bought a car with a check engine light problem. The man that we bought the car from did put in writing that he would take care of the check engine light but he had told us that it would be no problem he said just take it to Honda and they will fix it. Really the situation is our fault for being so trusting of other people. I realize now that my car is a lemon. I just have to deal with it. I'm no mechanic and the only way to have it be fixed will be to be ripped off by another mechanic. Our mechanic restored the car to working condition but he had said that there was no way that the check engine light would come back on. Oh well I'm tired of worrying about it.Thanks for listening guys.

Breeze

Old 10-22-2007, 04:44 PM

Please go back to AutoZone and get the exact code numbers and post them here (ex: P0123). Do not listen to the workers at AutoZone. They are dead wrongmost of the time when it comes to Hondas.You car is not a lemon. The correct repairs were likely never done.

Quick Reply: BEWARE HONDA WARRANTEES R NO GOOD