Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Brightest headlights.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:24 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Brightest headlights.

I guess it was safe to assume I could put this thread here, as I don't think it fit well in any of the other cats.

Anyways, as the titles states, I'm looking for some of the brightest headlights. And I mean Halogen. I don't want Xenon bulbs or an HID conversion kit.

I've heard good things about Silverstar Ultra. They're supposed to be some of the brightest and whitest halogen lights out there. Anybody with prior experience with these or others?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

My personal issue with Silverstar Ultra was life. I got about 6 months out of them (both failed within a month) - i normally get 2 years. The replacements have been fine for over a year now - but aren't as bright.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:58 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Hmm. Well, that could pose a problem. At about $50 for 4 bulbs, I'd be spending $100 a year just for headlights.

Silverstar High Performance lights are supposed to be pretty good too, but not as bright. Or as white.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

I forget the replacement, but i went for "long life" bulbs.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

I also had life issues with silver stars. I just have HIDs.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I used silverstar ultras for about a year and a half. I loved them, but they are just too expensive to keep up with. My set of lows lasted over a year, but when I replaced them, one died in about 4 months. You can find them on ebay or amazon for a lot cheaper than in store, but it's still a large investment, and inconvenient to change them so often. I just changed back to standard halogens a few weeks ago.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Or for what 50 bucks you can get hids from ddm

Old 03-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Almost A Senior Member

If I got HIDs I'd have to get a conversion kit, and unless I buy some cheap illegal kit with Jap writing all of the box, I'd end up spending more than I would on Silverstars in two 2-3 years. Even the crappy HID kits are $100 or more.

Then I'd run the risk of driving past the wrong cop at the wrong time.

At least in the case of a Halogen light, he couldn't say much.

I'm still looking. Hearing good and bad about silverstars, I guess I'd better look more into it before I make a purchase.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Dude a majority of us here run ddm. If they were crapppy they probably wouldt offer a lifetime guaranty. And why would you have to get a conversion kit? I believeall you do is flip the pos and neg on the 5th gens.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:44 PM

have you tried the PIAA brand, it draws the same amount of watts as a normal light bulb but the output is far more higer, thing is there expensive and most professionals use them

Quick Reply: Brightest headlights.