Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Buying A Kia Spectra Apparently....

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Default Buying A Kia Spectra Apparently....

Yep, I guess I can't complain really. Make it sound like a bad thing I guess haha. 2005 Kia Spectra5, 2.04cyl, 5spd manual. My buddies sister-in-law doesn't want it anymore, she wants to sell it ASAP for a down-payment on a new Ford Edge. Whatever haha, I'm getting it with 120k on the clock, a newish clutch, and brand new BBS wheels on it. I guess she messed up a wheel and decided to buy brand new BBS rims about a month or two ago. Haha, whatever then.

However, I will be selling my Accord. I want to get rid of it as soon as possible, that's fersure. I can't stand it anymore. My buddy almost traded me his 1997 Dodge Ram 5.2 5spd for it, but he decided he wanted a 4x4 for the winter. I guess me and him came to terms of selling the car to him for the tune of $900. For something that has 300,000 miles, chugs and bucks, and has a slowly dying transmission, I guess I can't complain about that either. Hmmm.... It will suck to say goodbye to it, I do really like that car.

I'll upload pics soon, apparently it's a pretty nice little car. Going to look at it here in a few days, but it's practically mine anyhow.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats on a newer car. I don't know much about Kias, but sounds like it's got some good stuff. Manual transmission FTW!

Old 12-14-2012, 08:50 AM

Exactly! I haven't heard bad things about Kia's honestly. Also, the reviews were also very well. Said it was a very zippy and handled well. Owner also said it gets like 34mpg. Makes me happy haha.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:48 PM

One issue about Kia and Hyundai vehicles: the scan tool.

While a scan tool that reads and reset OBD II features in general, plus ABS and Air Bags costs no more than $500.00 for most cars like Honda, Mercedes Benz, Volvo, Chrysler, Ford, you name it...including Porsche... on the other hand, a similar scan tool to read and reset OBD II plus ABS and Air Bags for Kia and Hyundai will cost you almost $4,000.00.

If for any reason the Air bag or ABS light went off in your car, it will cost you $120.00 to be checked and reset at the dealer. Of course, $120.00 is nothing compared to $4,000.00 but you will depend on mechanic shops to check such other features.

If you always lean on mechanics to perform service and repairs, this issue about the cost of the Carman Hi Pro won't affect you at all... but if you do repairs by yourself it will be a big pain to spend thousands of dollars for such a scan tool.

Kia and Hyundai cars share lots of parts which are compatible, and they indeed enjoy a strong motor and transmission. I just don't like working in a Hyundai, and this is another issue: the makers of these vehicles have managed to install the parts ridiculously complicated for to be removed and reinstalled.

I love challenge... but... for example... had to remove the whole motor just to change valves in the front cylinder block of a 6 cylinder vehicle? ... and had to do so solely because the oil measure stick pipe is attached to the front cylinder and the front exhaust manifold can't be loosen up because the location of this pipe bracket?... lol... I twisted the bracket and removed the front cylinder block without having to remove the whole motor out... still the bracket can't be straighten back again and such wasn't a big issue...until the car was ready to be sold and had to open the hood to show the engine... damn!

I don't like Kias and Hyundais anymore...

Last edited by darkseat; 12-21-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by darkseat
One issue about Kia and Hyundai vehicles: the scan tool.

While a scan tool that reads and reset OBD II features in general, plus ABS and Air Bags costs no more than $500.00 for most cars like Honda, Mercedes Benz, Volvo, Chrysler, Ford, you name it...including Porsche... on the other hand, a similar scan tool to read and reset OBD II plus ABS and Air Bags for Kia and Hyundai will cost you almost $4,000.00.

If for any reason the Air bag or ABS light went off in your car, it will cost you $120.00 to be checked and reset at the dealer. Of course, $120.00 is nothing compared to $4,000.00 but you will depend on mechanic shops to check such other features.

If you always lean on mechanics to perform service and repairs, this issue about the cost of the Carman Hi Pro won't affect you at all... but if you do repairs by yourself it will be a big pain to spend thousands of dollars for such a scan tool.

Kia and Hyundai cars share lots of parts which are compatible, and they indeed enjoy a strong motor and transmission. I just don't like working in a Hyundai, and this is another issue: the makers of these vehicles have managed to install the parts ridiculously complicated for to be removed and reinstalled.

I love challenge... but... for example... had to remove the whole motor just to change valves in the front cylinder block of a 6 cylinder vehicle? ... and had to do so solely because the oil measure stick pipe is attached to the front cylinder and the front exhaust manifold can't be loosen up because the location of this pipe bracket?... lol... I twisted the bracket and removed the front cylinder block without having to remove the whole motor out... still the bracket can't be straighten back again and such wasn't a big issue...until the car was ready to be sold and had to open the hood to show the engine... damn!

I don't like Kias and Hyundais anymore...
Wow, I did not know all of this. So if I get an engine code, I can't read/erase it with a normal OBDII scanner from say Snap-On, or like our cheapish one from Advance Auto?

I have driven this car a good bit in the last week, and a strong motor it does have! It's really a pretty quick car, but it's hard to really getting on it with the clutch in the condition it's currently in. I really have to baby it until I can afford to put a new clutch in. (I'm not doing another clutch swap in a FWD vehicle... Did it on my '06 Focus... never again. Paying my mechanic friend to do it haha)

Old 12-23-2012, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by iStagl
Wow, I did not know all of this. So if I get an engine code, I can't read/erase it with a normal OBDII scanner from say Snap-On, or like our cheapish one from Advance Auto?

I have driven this car a good bit in the last week, and a strong motor it does have! It's really a pretty quick car, but it's hard to really getting on it with the clutch in the condition it's currently in. I really have to baby it until I can afford to put a new clutch in. (I'm not doing another clutch swap in a FWD vehicle... Did it on my '06 Focus... never again. Paying my mechanic friend to do it haha)
Actually any OBD II scan tool will work also with Hyundai and Kia, I was talking about reading and reseting beyond the basic, this is to say ABS, Air Bags.

You are right about the strong motor of Kia, I agree with it. But I just found out by experience that these cars (Hyundai and Kia) are very complicated to work with them. For example, if you want to change a complete 6 valve engine in a car (lets say Honda, Ford, etc) according to the hours estimate it will take you about 18 to 20 hours, while for Hyundai is 22 hours and up...

Old 12-24-2012, 01:45 AM

Just curious. If you really like your 1995, have you considered buying a newer generation Accord?

Old 12-24-2012, 11:50 AM

Actually, yes. I was in the market for one a short bit ago. Looking for circa2000 coupes with a manual trans. Than I started seeing 05ish coupes with a 6spd... oooooh! but they wanted $7k for those ones. thats why I didn't get one, Honda's hold their retail value too well for me right now