Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Buying new vs. used, current trends...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Default Buying new vs. used, current trends...

As many of you know I work at an auto and marine sales dealership and have noticed that over the last year the sale of used vehicles has declined signifigantly but new car buying is either the same or up a little. I personally never considered buying a new car but with the cost of them coming down so much and all the new offers (0% APR, $3000 cashback etc) I'm starting to think about why someone would buy new.... My basic question is this, do you think the next car you purchase will be new or used and why?

Also, on a side note, I've had people come in who don't qualify (credit wise) for a used car at $10,000 yet they can finance a new car for $16,000 if they want.... Just seems odd to me but that's the way it works....

So, New or Used what's it going to be?

Old 04-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Default RE: Buying new vs. used, current trends...

Ifone can swing newthey're crazy not to. When I say "swing" I mean make the down, monthlypayment, and insurancelow enough to still be able to buy fuel and enjoy life. For me it's buy new if I can. I've had well over 25 cars in my life so far and most had spare parts and tools in the trunk so I could do repairs on the side of the road, which were doneoften. I'mthrough with that crap!!!!!!!

The marine industry is really in a bad way this year nationwide. I'm glad I no longer sell powerboats, I couldn't afford to go to work! There will be a lot of dealers closing this year & next year, even some old timers that have been around a long time.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

I bought my first couple carsused because I had to. Well, they suffered from rust, mostly because of Bondo bodywork. So I got annoyed with that & coincidentally started earning enough money to buy new.

We bought 8 of our last 9 cars new. We inherited one. To be honest, car design is so much better from a corrosion standpoint, that my original reason for hating used cars is probably bogus.

My current excuse for buying new is that I want to be the person to put the break-in miles on the engine.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I dont buy new cause well.... what i want i can never afford.... and used..... well.... my vechiles previous owners have always been my parents ^_^ so i know they are babied like theres no tomorrow ^_^ otherwise im just paranoid what people have been doing in the cars..... im sure i would have a car i wanted if i did buy used though, but based on the "family dealership" my next choices are a ford f150 or a volvo s60...... sooooo yeah...... i dont want either of those to a guess i will be buying from a used dealership [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 04-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Administrator

New Guys, only New for Me..Like the smell of clean cloth seats ..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 04-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Administrator

I think it's time for Ice Cream..gonna go get a bowl ...

Me

Old 04-06-2008, 12:00 AM

Well I would say new since I just bought mine in February. My next TOY will probably be used since I just can not rationaize spending $65,000 + for a car with less than 300 HP.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:52 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I'm all for the used cars comming off of a lease ..... there's just too much depreciation in the first year or 2.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

I'm all for the used cars comming off of a lease ..... there's just too much depreciation in the first year or 2.
x2 on that for my next car. Although on this one I had to buy fairly old because I didn't want a car payment.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:54 PM

Part of the equation is 'how long will I keep it?' I don't mind taking the hit on the big depreciation of the first couple years if it's going to even out over a long time.

There were a couple times I wound up buying new simply because the interest rates vary so much between new and used. Themonthly payment on aloan for anew one, even tho'the amountwas larger, wasn't that much more per month than the note for a used car.

Buying a leased car always gave me the shivers, 'cuz of all the people I know that lease cars, none of them change the oil, etc., when they should.

New if you can, is the rule for me. But I like my car so much, even after 10 years, I'm looking forward to another 10.

Quick Reply: Buying new vs. used, current trends...