Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

DO NOT be a parts changer!!!!!!!!!!!!! updated

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Default DO NOT be a parts changer!!!!!!!!!!!!! updated

Ok so here is the story to all you guys who are parts changers - who will change parts without knowing the actuall problem and thinking ....i hope it works...

The guy stops by the shop today saying his car overheats and if we can replace thermostat and gasket for him...ofcorse we ask why does he thinks that the problem is in thermostat and why don't we diagnose the car first and tell him what the real problem is (diagnostic is $60)

-NO the guy yells, i have so much experience with that, I know what it is (he was probably abused by other shops who were insisting on unnesessary work) replace the thermostat.

ok replaced thermostat, gasket and a hose (that was damn old&cracked) and...................OFCORSE the car still overheating. So the guy will pay or will not pay (that he will discuss with my boss) $200 dollars just for his stubbornes and stupidity.

More over I'm absolutely discusted by people who will start his story by....someone told me to replace "whatchamacallit" part and I did and it still does the same problem!!! [:'(] [:'(] [:'(]

THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS!!!! People DO NOT BE PARTS CHAGERS!!
If you think it will eliminate the problem if you change X amount of parts It might not!!!!
If you think you will save more money this way - you might not!!!!

Now if you asking yourself ..."well, how will I fix the problem spending the minimum amount of money...I'm kind'a good with a wrench and stuff..."

if you ARE asking yourself that - it is good , it means your brain is not completely dead

DO ask around for advice but do not buy and replace anyparts unless you're completely sure. I'm sure you will hear different kind of advice from each person. It is better to pay diagnostic fee and know what the problem is and then only ask for an advice how to install a certain part.

P.S. ...the story is to be continued...

Old 05-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Administrator
Default RE: DO NOT be a parts changer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

right..so instead you should pay some crook at a shop 60 bucks to tell you what you already know, or pay 60 bucks to tell you what you already know, plus another 500 bucks worth of stuff that you suddenly "need"...i was a corporate tech for a while...and i made straight comission..i screwed more people than you could imagine...to make a buck...

the bottom line is, unless you know the mechanic, they are basically crooks..myself included when i was one. find a good mechanic that you know...

Old 05-09-2005, 04:07 AM
Administrator

Both of you are right about both parts...
1st off the diagnostic can be a money saver but the fixit shop should do as I do and that is to give up the price of the diagnosis if the part works as they are saying.

Secondly ...yes most of those mechanic's that are replacing parts even if they are a big shop (dealer included) are out there to make their rate of pay and will absolutely replace anything thats a little suspect to them to make that MONEY $$$$. I work with an average of 100 mechanics on a daily basis, 6 days a week..

So I say you both have you correct points guys...

Thanks for listening to my words...
WheelBrokerAng

Old 05-09-2005, 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Patrick

right..so instead you should pay some crook at a shop 60 bucks to tell you what you already know, or pay 60 bucks to tell you what you already know, plus another 500 bucks worth of stuff that you suddenly "need"...i was a corporate tech for a while...and i made straight comission..i screwed more people than you could imagine...to make a buck...

the bottom line is, unless you know the mechanic, they are basically crooks..myself included when i was one. find a good mechanic that you know...
no you're wrong. Now think on my part - I don't care if you want me to fix the problem or you wanna do it yourself. And frankly where you wanna get the parts that are needed - it's up to you.

You will pay me money for my knowledge to tell you whats wrong. The next part about being a crook mechanic - you judge by yoursef , Ok? there are honest people in the world too, you know...

In fact , after examining the car lot's of times we say If it was my car I wouldn't do it (since we have an instant access to the parts and tools) , it's up to you(customer) if you want to replace an additional part that is likely to go bad in the future. Some people wouln't do tha and some would like that part to be replaced to save the trip and headache in the future.

Patrick , I do understand your point of view about the commision (like wheelbroker said), and I think that it is the way to be working at the dealership, however owning your own garage and own customers you would like them to come back.

Old 05-11-2005, 11:56 AM

...continueing the story - now the guy wants us to check the car and tell him why does the car overheat.

question: was it really worth it to replace unnessesary parts in the first place? [sm=laughat.gif]