Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Does It Matter Where I Get Gas From?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:48 AM
Default RE: Does It Matter Where I Get Gas From?

Try and stay with the tier 1 stations, like Shell, BP, and Sunoco. There is a big difference in fuel and there additives.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

No, it is nationally mandated that all gas manufacturers being imported or domestic to the US have the exact same detergents... Companies like Chevron claim to use detergents that are higher than the gov'ts standards, but I've read many articles that disprove this easily in many burn and resin tests.

A quote from a FAQ about Gas Stations:

"My gas isn't better for your car; it's just more expensive."
Oil companies spend lots of money explaining why their gas is better than the competition's. Chevron's gas, for example, is fortified with "Techron," and Amoco Ultimate is supposed to save the planet along with your engine. But today more than ever, one gallon of gas is as good as the next.

True, additives help to clean your engine, but what the companies don't tell you is that all gas does so. Since 1994 the government has required that detergents be added to all gasoline to help prevent fuel injectors from clogging. State and local regulators keep a close watch to make sure those standards are met; in Florida inspectors checked 45,000 samples last year to ensure the state's gas supply was up to snuff, and 99% of the time it was. "There's little difference between brand-name gas and any other," says AAA spokesperson Geoff Sundstrom.

What's more, your local Chevron station may sell gas refined by Shell or Exxon Mobil. Suppliers share pipelines, so they all use the same fuel. And the difference between the most expensive brand-name gas and the lowliest gallon of no-brand fuel? Often just a quart of detergent added to an 8,000-gallon tanker truck.
If there even is a difference, it's so minimal that you will never see any evidence that it's real.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:17 AM

I stay away from exxon mobile, strictly Shell or BP.. maybe its just here in miami but i got gas at shell yesterday for $3.69 [sm=jawdrop.gif]

Old 08-26-2008, 10:42 AM

Also keep in mind that the bigger companys mandate that there stations change there station tanks every certain amount of years were the no name stations dont. In mycounty they did an inspection on random gas stations and found out that Empire had a large amount water in 8 stations. May be a local incident who knows. I know when we headed to the track all of use fueled up at Sunoco or Shell because thats what our cars ran best on. If you have a chance talk to an engine builder and see what they recommend.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:30 PM

Anyone get from Walmart?

Old 10-01-2008, 07:04 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

There is a difference in gasoline quality, I assure you this.

I ONLY buy gas from Mobil, BP, and Shell.

While all gasoline does have in GENERAL the same basic detergents to begin with, companies like BP, Shell, and Mobil go above and beyond the govt minimums. I prefer to keep my fuel injectors clean and reduce sludge. Maybe a penny more for name brand gasoline to prevent expensive bills makes sense to me.

If you dont believe me, do this.
Fill your ENTIRE tank twice with a crap gas like Freedom or Qik-n-easy. Then record your gas mileage/driving habbits and where you drive. Do the same for a quality gas like Mobil, BP, or Shell,and you will notice there is quite a big. difference in terms of MPG.

Also, generic crap gas is cheaper. Gas stations dont make any noteable profits of gasoline, especially with high gas prices and credit card company fees. They make roughly 3 cents for every gallon of gas, and possibly less if a CC is used. Now, by having a cheaper gas, on gas that already makes barely any profit, you know there has to be a difference in input cost factors (detergents). It really is as simple as that. 95% of stations here in the midwest lets you know gasoline can contain up to 10% ethanol, and I am willing to bet money that cheaper gas uses that full 10%. Ethanol is cheaper, and burns more quickly w/ less energy resulting in less MPG.

If you dont believe me thats fine. You are free to choose your own gasoline. Just be warned there is a difference and the effects could be costly whether its a repair bill or mpg.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Administrator

once or twice...didnt see any difference in performance...

Old 10-02-2008, 01:36 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Its not so much performance as it is MPG. It might take a few times to notice it, but there is a difference. I personally have tested Freedom/Thortons gasoline vs. BP/Shell/Mobils gasoline.

http://www.toptiergas.com/
and heres one that has both sides http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...gas-usat_N.htm

I'll stick w/ my name brand.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:18 AM

I avoid Exxon/Mobile for ethical reasons. Also, when I do have to use their gas, it seems to burn up faster. Lastly, my grandfather used to own an Esso station and he had my mother and her sisters use Texaco gas ..... I wonder why?

Old 10-02-2008, 08:24 AM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

I avoid Exxon/Mobile for ethical reasons.
Lol im the same way. I use Sunoco exclusively. Shell once in a while.

Quick Reply: Does It Matter Where I Get Gas From?