Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

G/F hit a curb. Need you opinion techies!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 12:14 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default G/F hit a curb. Need you opinion techies!!

Alright, well my gf was driving her 93 Ford Tempo and ive told her a thousand times to drive slow in the snow. Well appeaantly and she was turning into the parking lot she slid right into the curb with her wheel turned. So we put the spare on, filled up her oem wheel with air in my car, it held air, put the oem one back on, lost the air (rim=bent), and when the car is standing still the tire is leaning like this / (but not that steep) and it is the front pass. wheel, so the bottom of the wheel is more inside the fender than the top of it.

Anyways, her dad drove it around in the parking lot and when he turned left I thought the wheel was going to pop off, so I told him to come back and park, then as he was coming back the wheels looked like this \ / (if you are looking at the front,and the car is coming towards you) so both were bent in. Then when he stopped the tire that didnt hit the curb (driver front) straightended out. Also, it looks like the driveshaft is bent and it rubbing against a nut.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated. I imagine w/ towing and fixing its going to be a lot, but the car only has like 50k miles on it. Maybe bent driveshaft and a bad bearing?

Old 12-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: G/F hit a curb. Need you opinion techies!!

check the bushings...

Old 12-08-2007, 12:09 PM

How about you get a new rim and a front end alignment and tell the alignment shop what happened so they know exactly what to look for. lol @ bushings

Old 12-08-2007, 12:50 PM

I'd probably take it to an alignment shop as well but first I'd look at the lower control arm and see if it's bent/wrinkled/bowed up. My friend hit a curb in his nissan versa a month or so ago and wound up spending over $2000.00 on parts/labor to get it repaired, the shop had to replace just about everything for safety reasons on the one side.

Old 12-08-2007, 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

the lower control arm and see if it's bent/wrinkled/bowed up.
that's what i meant for bushings, how are they called then?

Old 12-08-2007, 02:11 PM

I've always refered to it as the lower control arm, or lower A arm. I'm not 100% certain if this is the proper terminology but it's the terminology that I use *L*

Old 12-08-2007, 02:14 PM

my bestfriend crashed his eclipse turbo against a tree (wet road, big hole on road, tried to avoid it and BOOM!) and his wheel was like /. he changed the bushings (the control arm that hold the tire and what not in place)... that's why i said the bushings, i could have the terminology wrong...

Old 12-08-2007, 02:36 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Thanks guys, Ill have to check it out. I know its been towed, so I guess we'll see what the shop says. haha good thing her fam. is paying for it! lol

Old 12-08-2007, 02:42 PM

You're lucky you're not married or it'd come out of your pocket...*L*

Here's a bushing

http://images.google.com/images?clie...ages&gbv=2

Here's a lower control arm

http://images.google.com/images?gbv=...=Search+Images

Old 12-08-2007, 04:08 PM

oh, ok... now i've got it... it's that in PR they call the whole thing a bushing, and since i grew u here, i learned the wrong way to call stuff...(crap)
thanxs a lot SN

Quick Reply: G/F hit a curb. Need you opinion techies!!