Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Guns

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 05:43 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered
Default Guns

00AccordLX5spd and I were starting a conversation about firearms on another thread, so its a good idea to start its own thread...

Anyhow, I know that Ruger .22 you are talking about, it does shoot really nice, I just dont like the aesthetics of it. Im in love with my little Walther, but it does jam occasionally after it gets really dirty. I can shoot 500 rounds through it in an afternoon with no problem though, as long as I dont use the cheapest ammo.

My roomie's XD .40 has never had an issue. Its never had a jam or misfeed of any kind, and he has put about 1200-1500 rounds through it. He just shoots the cheap ammo from Wal Mart or the gun store.

My Ruger is under my mattress loaded with Speer Gold Dot hollows, one in the chamber with the safety on. I keep the Taurus in the dresser loaded with Black Talons, chamber clear. There is also a single shot 20 ga in the closet with a 3/4 ounce slug in it lol.

That Kimber Warrior is a beautiful gun. He has had a problem with it misfeeding after about fifty rounds though, so he has to send it back to Kimber, they will fix it and send it back free of charge. I really like the Kimber Raptor, that gun just looks cool lol. But its a little spendy for me, like $1200. My buddy paid right around $1000 for his Warrior, he got a deal on it because he bought the XD at the same time, so they knocked a little off the price. That was the same day I bought my Ruger.

My dad has a S&W Model 686 (I think) .357 mag that I have been trying to get him to sell me for the last couple years. That gun is so sweet. Six inch barrel, almost perfect balance, and you can shoot .38 or .357 out of it. .357 rounds are freakin LOUD though lol.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Default RE: Guns

sounds like you've got a nice little collection of pistols... If you look on kimber's homepage there office for marketing/sales is located in the city I live in.... beautifull little guns! I can already forsee a number of people getting kind of angry about this conversation so I will just forwarn everyone if it gets out of hand I'll just delete the post.... keep your comments clean and avoid directly insulting other users please....

All that aside I'm more of a rifle person myself... I Have a little browning buckmark .22 special edition that's amazing, I used to own a star .45 and will NEVER Buy a star brand handgun again, there is a reason they only cost $99.00.... I have a savage tactical .300 Win Mag with a bipod and 4.5-16 power scope that I can get rounds to touch at 125 yards with... I love that rifle...then there's my first gun that I still have: Winchester .308 as well as a Ruger .22 Rifle that I use for hunting.... my wife is still a bit jumpy about handguns in the house even though her dad is a correctional officer! That's one argument she'll lose when I get my gun safe.... If you couldn't tell I'm pretty pro-gun/pro-safety.... I think that Hunters safety and gun educations classes should be as standard as sex ed... they can both kill you if used/done improperly why not educate people?

Old 04-18-2007, 06:38 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I recently got a S&W sigma series .40. After shooting a Ruger KP90-.45and several Glocks, 9mm-.45. I seem to like the KP90 and the 9mm Glock the best for range shooting. The accuracy is farbetter because of the balance between load and gun weight. I still like my S&W for its punch, but its a little inaccurate because it'sfront heavy and its a .40...just my two cents...I keep it under my mattress, empty chamber (cuzit doesnt have a safety)

Old 04-18-2007, 06:55 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

I can understand how this topic could get heated and argumentative, but hopefully people can be mature about it... thats not too much to ask, right?

Im a big pro gun person. Card carrying NRA member, in fact. I have been around guns all my life, and I have found that a lot of people who "hate" guns are people who have never attempted to fire one themselves. Im not generalizing and saying that ANYONE who is anti gun has no experience, thats just what I have found to be the case the majority of the time... I personally feel that everyone should at least learn to use a gun, properly and safely.

I like rifles also, I have a .22 bolt action with a peep sight that I can put five rounds into an inch circle at 100 meters. I love that thing. I also have a Winchester Model 94 .30-30 lever action. Thats a sweet little rifle. Next rifle will be a long range gun, I want something I can shoot out to 800 meters or better with. Why? Just because. I like a challenge, and long distance shooting is a real challenge. Im looking at the .308, the .300 Win Mag, or maybe a .338 Lapua.

Im just a fan of guns all around lol.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:26 PM

I've never shot a Lapua but I've heard great things about them.... except they tend to hit a little hard.... the 800 meter shot is the very reason that I bought a .300 win mag.... it's a U.S. army sniper round... same size bullet as a .308 but about half as much again in powder capacity (I hand load my rifles for acuracy...) I dropped an elk at about 350-375 yards (the longest shot I've ever made I will admit) with my .300.... The round only drops about 6 inches at 300 yards (on a 100 yard zero) so it's a nice flat powerfull round that runs about 3300 FPS if I remember right..... I'm a huge fan of the .300 for long range shooting since it does great (as proven in hunting and combat alike) and doesn't have the meat tearing force of a 50 cal.... Antelope hunting with a 50 cal just about guarantees that you're only going to get half your meat!

bssmagik: I'm a big fan of the S&W pistols also but like you I found that when holding it without a full clip it was VERY nose heavy compared to some of the other pistols in the same price range....

Old 04-18-2007, 07:56 PM

I never really got too much into rifles because I'm not a big deer hunter. Down here in MS deer is the big game animal of choice. I tried deer hunting when I was younger. I bought a 12 gauge for dove hunting and I bought a slug barrell to slap on there when I wanted to deer hunt. I just never was into getting up at 4:30 A.M. and freezing my nuts off on a deer stand.
I do keep the slug barrell on the shotgun (remington 870) with one shell of 00 Buckshot follwed by one slug followed byanother buckshot, another slug, and another buckshot
Just in case things ever got hairy.

I am also HUGE into gun safety. I don't think ANYONE should be allowed to even hold any type of gun (loaded or not!)before they have properly been educated on gun safety.

I actually don't keep one in the chamber of my .45 as I discussed with poser earlier. One reason behind this is: If someone breaks into my house I will likely hear them (i.e. window breaks or dog goes crazy) then I can chamber a round real quick and pretty much any criminal will know the sound of the slide on a big handgun or the pump of a shotgun. I would hope to scare them off before I had to do any shooting. I think I may need to change my practice though. I am just nervous I would forget to chamber one in the heat of the moment when I realized someone had broken in to my house you know?

Oh yeah. Poser...that Ruger 22-45 is a pretty ugly looking little gun I'll have to admit. But it is fun! I wish I could find some extra clips for it that don't cost like $30 a peice.
Have you seen those kits you can buy for about $200 that you can convert a 1911 model .45 to fire a .22 just by changing barrels and clips? Pretty dang cool if you ask me. I thought about that before I bought the .22 but I didn't even pay $200 for the .22 so I figured I'd just rather have another gun. Haha!

Old 04-18-2007, 08:01 PM

My wife and I used to have a winter home in Florida. While we were there, we both had CCW permits and used to shoot weekly at the local range. (My wife was a marksman with a SSRuger GP100.)

Most of the time I carried a Ruger SP101 with .357. You would not believe the sound and kick of that lightlittle powerhouse.
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger_SP101.htm
If you get a chance to fire one, start off with .38 and then move up to the .357. I repeat - that is one wild little gun.

But what would you do if you had the opportunity to fire this little devil?
http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=7890550
(Notice the weight.)

Old 04-18-2007, 09:32 PM

56 ounces? that's like 4-4 1/2 lbs! that's one heavy SOB.... Reminds me of the Raging Bull 454 Kasul(sp).... I'm sure that if you held that gun improperly you'd wind up with a broken wrist....

Old 04-18-2007, 11:35 PM

Cool, others like guns too on here! I have only 3 guns: beretta 92fs, glock 30 and a ruger 10/22. Haven't gone shooting much lately. Anyone else notice the price of ammo has sky rocketed? Maybe it's because i'm in California....who knows.

Old 04-19-2007, 01:15 AM

Haven't noticed any price increases here in MS yet. Of course...with all the rednecks down here booze, tobacco, and ammo are always about as cheap as you can get.

Yeah sir_nasty, the 454 Casull USED to be themost powerfulproduction handgun. Then S&W went and made the beastly .500 Magnum. That thing has about as much knockdown power as a 12 gauge slug i believe. I saw a video of a guy shooting one. Definitely don't want to shoot unless you got both hands firmly on the thing.