Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Honda Canada prices are outrageous!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Default Honda Canada prices are outrageous!

I'm buying parts for a timing belt job on our 92 Accord. Part of the job is to drain the coolant. Because of that, I figured I'd replace the coolant and also the thermostat and its gasket.

Before I went to Honda I checked out a couple of US sources for genine Honda parts and I found prices of around $12 USD, which today equals about $13.50 Canadian dollars.

I went to Honda and I was shocked when the parts guy told me that the price was about $50.

Needless to say, I did not buy the thermostat.

When I got home I called two other local Honda dealers and was told essentially the same thing.

Well, this is the very reason why I bought virtually all the parts for the car from the US - usually e-Bay sellers of genuine Honda parts.

I bought a couple of Koyo tensioners because they have a very good reputation.

I called Honda Canada's customer service department to discuss the situation and, because this was probably their one-millionth call about it, their response was very well rehearsed and just rolled right off her tongue -"Honda Canada and Honda US are different companies and prices for products in Canada are determined by Honda Canada for the Canadian market."

I replied that any Canadian with two eyes can see that they are getting royally ripped off by Honda Canada and her reply was that they cannot comment on US prices.

Basically she was saying "like it or lump it".

I'm quite PO'd about this and I definitely will NOT buy a thermostat from Honda Canada. First, I'll try to find a local parts place who sells Japanese brands (Nippon, etc.), and, if that doesn't work, I'll go eBay again.

Old 08-27-2006, 04:44 AM
Default RE: Honda Canada prices are outrageous!

ggggggggggggggggggg,,,
they only asked 50 from u,,,,
I paid 600 CND for a radiator for my ol Mercedes ML...
I agree eBay is the way 2 go up here north...

Old 08-27-2006, 06:55 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yeah, too bad your canadian ^_-

Old 08-27-2006, 06:59 PM

ORIGINAL: miki

ggggggggggggggggggg,,,
they only asked 50 from u,,,,
I paid 600 CND for a radiator for my ol Mercedes ML...
I agree eBay is the way 2 go up here north...

I know what you feel like. I needed a rad for my 95 Accord, and the honda dealer wanted $613 plus tax. YAH RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! I found a new one at a local rad shop and had it installed for $260 tax in. I never go to the dealer for parts. I have a couple friends that work at part stores and I get cost on my parts. The only thing I got from the dealer was a timing belt.........which was about $50 bucks. I was told to get other stuff there, like my thermostat, but whatever........mine works great, and it isn't from Honda.