Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.
View Poll Results: A poll
Quality is about the same.
31.25%
Quality has improved.
12.50%
Quality has diminished.
56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Honda quality slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default Honda quality slipping?

I vaguely remembering a thread awhile back that touched on this, but I wanted to revisit it based upon my recent experiences and some threads I have read in here.

I have owned my 07 V6 since september 2007. Its got about 16000 miles on it. Since I have owned it, the following items have required work:

1700mi - Transmission overhauled due to notchy manual shifter. 3rd/4th gear shift fork, 3rd gear assy, and 3rd gear mainshaft replaced. Problem not fixed.
1700mi - Dealer added EPT foam to inside of driver's side mirror to reduce vibration at highway speed. EPT has pulled out. Vibration returned.
12000mi - Dealer unable to verify recurring shifting issue noted above.
15000mi - Pssgr rear window makes grinding noise when in operation. Both rear window regulators replaced due to a TSB.
15000mi - Front brake rotors resurfaced due to vibration when braking at higher speeds. I fully expect this one to come back. They should have replaced them.

I owned a 94 Accord sedan for 9 years, and had about this many service problems in 9 years, let alone 9 months. So, my question...

Has Honda's quality slipped noticeably since the 5th generation?

Old 05-08-2008, 01:37 PM
Default RE: Honda quality slipping?

I said "diminished" not from personal experience, but from reading about sooooo many problems with the newer models. Notchy shifters in the 6 spds, rotors warping after as little as 10k miles, lighting on the headunit screen going out and headunits having TSB's on them, etc..
I haven't had any problems with my 2000. But my 95 V6, that is another story. I think Honda was still experimenting or something when they put the first V6 in the Accords in 95 - I have not been incredibly impressed with that one over the most recent 25k miles or so - I hope to get rid of it soon.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:24 PM

Yes!!!! Guess what?!? At 69k my brother's '01 3.2CL just crapped out its tranny! Under warantee until 110k or 8 years, but still[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Mine lasted until 90k

Old 05-08-2008, 02:26 PM

Agreed, but I think that even outside of the infamous trannies (haha) of the last generation, they have bigger issues at hand.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:37 PM

Just from a practical perspective, I think owners who have had good service from their newervehicles would be less likely to post their experience than those who have had trouble.After all, why take the time to seek out this forum, let alone submit apost, if things have been going well with the car? I believe it's when there's trouble afoot, or maintenance to bedone,that people come here for advice.

However, the long-time Hondatechs on this forum should be able to answer this question definitively in about two seconds .....................but I can't help but think that politics mightaffect their ability or willingness toexpress themselves - especiallyabout current or recent model years. I might very wellbe wrong on that, though.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:40 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Can't say as the only Honda our family owns is mine so I have nothing to compare it to. Its to bad though that you guys are dealing with quality issues which is one of Hondas strongpoints.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:42 PM

Tony-
I agree that we are a self-selected group of respondents, creating an inherent bias in the results, but hey, its a forum.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:49 PM

ORIGINAL: smaglik

Tony-
I agree that we are a self-selected group of respondents, creating an inherent bias in the results, but hey, its a forum.
I agree 100%, and I'm glad you started the thread.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:33 PM

I want to hear from some Honda Techs now as Tony suggested. Don't be shy!

Old 05-08-2008, 03:53 PM

I voted "diminished". I do believe that Honda's reliability has decreased over the last few generations. My extended family has owned 5 Hondas over the past 15 years or so (3rd gen Accord, 5th gen Accord, 6th gen Accord, 7th gen Accord, 2nd gen MDX) and the earlier models are bulletproof compared to the newer models. But, even though I would agree that Honda's quality has decreased, I would still choose a Honda over any other auto manufacturers out there simply because their reliability is still at the top of the list. My family has also owned Dodges, Fords, Buicks, Volkswagens, Chevys, Toyotas, BMWs, and Audis and the quality cannot be surpassed.

Has anyone else noticed that Acuras tend to spend more time in the shop than Hondas? Our MDX has spend a crapload of time at Acura because of the nav system...

Quick Reply: Honda quality slipping?