Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

How can I change the title?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by ExpectDeath
Preferably, you will lose a lot. I don't think there are many people out there looking for salvage cars.

But hey, good luck trying to clear up your salvage status.
Even after running a full inspection check?

Old 05-11-2010, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
If you paid more than any salvage rate, then you can expect not to lose too much on your deal.
Where are the Salvage rates listed?

Old 05-12-2010, 12:05 AM
Administrator
Cool

There are no rates listed..it's like most any type of auto sale...PRICE is whatever the traffic will bear...

Attached Thumbnails How can I change the title?-10000_1934_face.jpg  
Old 05-24-2010, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by johncarry
You need to see a lawyer because you have several issues going on here.
And pay couple thousand to the lawyer?

Old 05-24-2010, 06:58 PM

My car is for sales on Craigslist. How much would you pay?

2005 Honda Accord LX SE Coupe.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:32 AM
Administrator
Exclamation

Wonder if he ever got rid of this car...

Salvage is what it is...

Old 06-18-2010, 02:37 PM

Im wondering why it has a salvaged title??? In my hometown, there is a salvage yard with a 03 Electric Blue Z06 Vette for 9k, It runs and drives, but would need all front replaced... The only way I would buy a salvaged title car, is if it was a hell of a deal, and I knew why it had a salvaged title...

Old 06-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Administrator
Thumbs up

One of the many ways of a salvaged title comes from places where the cars were flooded like during Katrina for instance..the ins companys made them as salvaged and you buy one , put it back up to standards for driving, take it to your State Police garage and the make it a reg car instead of keeping it as a salvaged car...

Billion dollar business....

Old 11-11-2010, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by corvetteking
Im wondering why it has a salvaged title??? In my hometown, there is a salvage yard with a 03 Electric Blue Z06 Vette for 9k, It runs and drives, but would need all front replaced... The only way I would buy a salvaged title car, is if it was a hell of a deal, and I knew why it had a salvaged title...
How can I find out? It has a rebuilt salvage title. I have not had any major problems with it since I bought it in 2007.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I don't know what state you are in, but you could look at your state's DMV website for more information about salvage titles and the rules regarding them. Usually once a car has been branded salvage, it's on the car's record forever. People do buy them and fix them and try to sell them, though. Personally, I wouldn't buy one because the value doesn't hold plus you have NO idea of it was repaired properly - if it was repaired properly were the airbags done correctly? Was it repaired with stolen parts? Etc etc.. so many things you can't see. Just because it's been "repaired" doesn't make it a non-salvage car anymore.

Here's some info from the California DMV Site:

Salvage Vehicles

Of all the vehicle brands, Salvaged has received the most attention in the past few years.

The California Department of Consumer Affairs found that more than 700,000 structurally damaged and 150,000 salvaged vehicles are returned to streets and highways every year without a safety inspection, and pose a potential hazard to all of the state's motorists.

A Salvage Vehicle is a vehicle that has been wrecked or damaged to such an extent that it is considered too expensive to repair. The title, license plates, and a required fee are submitted to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and a Salvage Certificate is issued for the vehicle.

A Revived Salvage is a salvage vehicle which has been repaired and reregistered with the DMV.

Be Cautious When Buying a Revived Salvage Vehicle

Although many salvage vehicles are expertly repaired, some vehicles:

Are not properly repaired and/or tested and may be dangerous to operate.
Have been repaired with stolen parts. If the California Highway Patrol or DMV determines the vehicle or its parts have been stolen, the vehicle cannot be registered and the vehicle or parts will be seized.
How To Identify a Salvaged Vehicle

First, look at the title. The title will tell you:

If the vehicle is salvaged.
The mileage when the vehicle was last sold.
Who the owner of record is.
Sellers, including dealerships, are legally required to disclose the vehicle’s salvage title and history, but the law is difficult to enforce, especially when cars come in from another state. Be sure the seller is indeed the owner. If the seller isn’t the owner or an authorized agent for the owner, he or she is not entitled to sell the vehicle, and you are not entitled to buy it. If the seller’s name is not on the title, there must be documentation, such as a bill of sale, dealer report of sale, or power of attorney, authorizing that person to sell the vehicle.

Next, inspect the vehicle itself. Some of the following "clues" may indicate the vehicle has an undisclosed salvage history.

Signs of major repairs on the inner fender structures.
Mud, mold, or rust under the carpet in the trunk.
Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) plate attached with materials other than rivets.
Safety restraint light is always on.
Airbag covers are resealed or improperly installed.
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) labels which usually appear on doors, inside hood, tailgate, or hatchback are missing.
You might also want to check various aspects of the vehicle's history by using the following links. By clicking on any of these links, you are acknowledging and agreeing (1) to not hold the State of California, Department of Motor Vehicles, liable for any reason relating to the condition, identification, or status of a vehicle, including, but not limited to, whether the information is inaccurate, (2) the State of California, Department of Motor Vehicles, does not endorse or make any representations with respect to any vehicle, and (3) the State of California, Department of Motor Vehicles, does not have a duty or ability to ascertain any facts from these links at the time application is made for initial registration or transfer of ownership of a vehicle.

Quick Reply: How can I change the title?