Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

How much work would this need????

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Default How much work would this need????

HERE IS THE LINK http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ISUZU...QQcmdZViewItem

Came across this I-290 on ebay, clean title, looks like it was stolen, check out the steering wheel. What would have to be replaced to get the car back to normal? Its only an 07 with only 15k. They guy said that there is no key. I know can find a used steering column with a key at a local junk yard, there is actuallya few on ebay right now. What kind of problems would my friend and i run into if we decided to use this Isuzu (Colorado) as a project, assuming the price stays low. What repairs would it need as far as the steering column.Thank you for the input.

BTW, im not completley serious about buying it, but i would if i can fix it for relativley cheap.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:20 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default RE: How much work would this need????

I had no idea they made an Izuzu using the same components as a Coloardo/Canyon.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:33 AM

Carfax does in fact check out clean...without seeing it in person it's impossible to tell, if it just needs a new keyswitch and some wiring work then you could get it running for a couple hundred, if it needs an all new steering column then it may be something different.... my question is what happened to the steering column...? It was sold at auction so the guy probably doesn't know either....

Old 04-28-2008, 11:15 AM

Yeah it looks like the guy just buys cars at auctions and sells them for profit on ebay. I was thinking that if this is something that can be easily replaced, that truck would still be under factory warranty since its an 07 with 15k and the carfax is clear, its just weird that it doesnt show up on the carfax that it was stolen/sold at an insurance auction?

I found a steering column out of a 05 colorado 2.8 mt, the whole deal with the steering wheel and key and the whole bit. They uped the displacement to 2.9 for 07 or 06 i believe and i dont know if that would work.

I just stumbled across that I290 on ebay and i thought it would make a cool side project/ or fix it and flip it.

I just want to make sure i know what i would be getting into...i probally wont buy it but im toying with the idea

Old 04-28-2008, 11:19 AM

ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

I had no idea they made an Izuzu using the same components as a Coloardo/Canyon.

lol your not alone. I don't think many people realize that Isuzu still sells cars in the US, rebadged GM Trailblazer as the Ascender and the rebadged Colorado as the I-290/I-370.

Interesting fact, Isuzu designed like 60% of the Colorado/Canyon, in Japan and stuff its the D-Max with a diesel engine that gets like 38mpg.

I guess they only sold like 7k cars last year in the states, thats why they are withdrawing from the U.S. market for passenger vehicles.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:20 AM

Back to the original question though, if the price stays low, would it be a good buy/possible easy fix?

Old 04-28-2008, 02:20 PM

In my opinion, it would be an excellent buy. However, you need to be 100% sure it has a clean title. Do not buy it unless the seller has the original title in his hand and ready to sign it over to you when you give him the money. If he does not have the title in his hand,I would pass on it. Since it looks like that was definitely stolen, you do NOT want to buy it if it has some issues with the correct ownership. A wholesale auction is not the same thing as an insurance auction. If an insurance company paid anythnig for that vehicle, itwould likely havea salvaged title. But since sir_nasty ran a Carfax on it, that does not seem to be the case.
I would be extremely careful with this. But you could get a very good deal on it as well. It looks like all it needs is a new ignition cylinder and the wiring replaced. that shouldn't cost more than a few hundred.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:33 PM

ORIGINAL: magiconthetire

Back to the original question though, if the price stays low, would it be a good buy/possible easy fix?
It's possible as long as the steering column is the only repairs needed that this would be a cheap fix. It may have been a repo... people who know their car is getting repoed have a tendancy to flip out and break stuff....

Like 00Accord said, if the guy has the title in hand, signed off and it's clear then yeah it's probably a good deal.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:09 PM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

It's possible as long as the steering column is the only repairs needed that this would be a cheap fix. It may have been a repo... people who know their car is getting repoed have a tendancy to flip out and break stuff....

Like 00Accord said, if the guy has the title in hand, signed off and it's clear then yeah it's probably a good deal.
sir_nasty, thanks for running the carfax for me and 00AccordLX, thanks for the helpful input. I called the place that is selling it and they say that they have the title in hand. I am still not sure if i want to risk buying it or not, as of now, i have 4hrs and 47 minutes left until the auction ends. I do want to buy on impulse, so im trying to get every opinion that i possibly can.

Its a toss up right now if i should buy it or not. Im grateful for all the help you guys have given me, i had just stumbled across this on ebay and was like "darn thats cheap". Im still debating. Even if i did buy it, i would use it as a second car. I would never get rid of my Accord.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:02 PM

If I had the money I would probably buy it if the seller had the title in hand. Even if it costs more than expected to fix it, you could still save up to get the job done. then if you didn'tlike the vehicle, you could probably sell it for a profit after it has been fixed

Quick Reply: How much work would this need????