Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

I did it boys

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default I did it boys

Not sure who is left from when I was active here. But many years later I own an accord again. It’s a 97. Haven’t even seen it in person yet my wife bought it while I am away for work. The gas mileage of my v10 truck was getting old so was looking for a cheap beater.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Some of us are still around; welcome back!

Old 06-18-2019, 08:20 PM

I like that body style a lot. My father had that year. Sounds like you got a good wife!

Let us know what plans you have for it, once you get home.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

No real plans other than doing the timing belt/water pump and converting it to 4 wheel disc and rotor over hub.

If I get real crazy I’ll paint the bumpers(previous owners son thought his Jeep was in reverse when it wasn’t and pushed the accord into a snow bank)

Old 06-19-2019, 02:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by live2rice
No real plans other than doing the timing belt/water pump and converting it to 4 wheel disc and rotor over hub.

If I get real crazy I’ll paint the bumpers(previous owners son thought his Jeep was in reverse when it wasn’t and pushed the accord into a snow bank)
I may not be part of the "old guard", but I've read enough of your posts in the archives (old posts) to say Welcome back.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

Got home and gave it a once over. Only problems I can find are:
windshield sprayers don’t work(not sure if clogged or motor burnt out)
radio seems to be from a different Honda and needs the anti theft code(probably replace with an aftermarket radio with Bluetooth)
fender liners are missing(must not have put back on when the bumpers were replaced)
clock doesnt work
cant tell if distributer o ring is currently leaking or was leaking in the past

drives like a dream and none of the issues are a big deal. Especially for being 22 years old. A few dents here and there but overall in pretty good shape for a $1,400 car(Alaska price of course would probably be an $800 car in the lower 48)

Old 06-29-2019, 11:00 PM
Super Moderator

Upon some further driving I found that when it is hot it idles high, gonna try unplugging the idle air control
valve and see if that changes anything.

Temp gauge also started to creep idling with the ac on for 10min or so in a parking lot(about 80-85 degrees today so a pretty hot day for here). Might throw in a new thermostat since they are cheap.

Also door looks seem
pretty funky in that neither the key nor the button on the door seem to lock all the doors. Seems like the back two door locks have to be operated by hand.

Old 01-16-2020, 07:39 PM

slam it

Old 05-20-2020, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Haven’t driven the car a whole lot. It still has the pesky over heating issue. So far I’ve replaced the radiator, water pump, and temp sender unit. I can’t remember if I replaced the thermostat or not so I might try that.

fans work. Will run at normal temp all day long if you’re moving. But as soon as you stop it starts to creep up(how quickly seems to depend on ambient temp). But once you get going again it starts to drop immediately.

did a exhaust gas check on the coolant and it was negative so I don’t think it’s a head gasket.

Last edited by live2rice; 05-20-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

How hot does it get when it isn't moving? My past Hondas have all had the temperature gauge increase to 70% or so before the fan switch turns on the radiator fans. Check by jumpering the fan switch on the thermostat housing. If jumpering that switch makes the fans run, then you know the fan relays and the fan motors are OK.

Quick Reply: I did it boys