Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Increasing MPH

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 07:20 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Increasing MPH

ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

Besides, what is the point of any aftermarket accesory such as an intake, header/s, exhaust, turbo, nitrous, light weight wheels or anything like that? Sure maybe 2% do it for MPG, but the others..... come on now. No one can really bash him. Im sure everyone of you has sped before, and whether you are going 5 over or 80 over you are breaking the law.
I may speed, but the reason for the upgrades is to improve acceleration and response. Remember, there is a major difference between spirited driving and road racing. To answer the original question about increasing MPH, lower the car, install air dams (keep an eye on the temp guage since you are restricting air to the radiator), remove any windguards, remove the antenna (if you have one), remove the spoiler (if you have one). This will minimize drag allowing you to get a few more MPH.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:46 AM

Honestly attach some sidewinders to thetop of the car and have them on a toggle switch. When you hit that switch your spedo wont even be able to keep up.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:48 AM

I saw a darwin award video that a guy attached a rocket to his car and he tested it in the desert. The thing took off and flew into a cliff!

Doesn't a sidewinder missile end with a bang?

Old 10-16-2007, 10:56 AM

generally yes, but im sure that guys ended with a splat

Old 10-16-2007, 11:26 AM

ORIGINAL: falkore24

I saw a darwin award video that a guy attached a rocket to his car and he tested it in the desert. The thing took off and flew into a cliff!

It was fake

Old 10-16-2007, 04:00 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: zro26t

ORIGINAL: ckebottle

Besides, what is the point of any aftermarket accesory such as an intake, header/s, exhaust, turbo, nitrous, light weight wheels or anything like that? Sure maybe 2% do it for MPG, but the others..... come on now. No one can really bash him. Im sure everyone of you has sped before, and whether you are going 5 over or 80 over you are breaking the law.

LOL! I take it you follow the letter of the law as opposed to the spirit of the law?

I might have misunderstood you...but I hope you don't equate 5 over and 80 over as the same.
It depends on where you are, and the officer's discretion. I think what 19Accord97 is pointing out, is that in most places, you'll get cited for exceeding the speed limit whether you're doing 5 over or 80 over. We all know that there's a penalty depending on severity, but you get the idea, right? Hope so.
Exactly! Thanks for the help there!

I usually dont go more than 4-5 over the speed limit, but I have had a couple of times where I decided to ignore the speed limit by quite an amount. It has been a few times I will admit, but no one else was on the road, and I wasnt under the influence of anything other than the need for speed[8D](cheesy, but it works haha) so yeah. I suppose just because he did it once doesnt mean he does it all the time.

Oh, btw, what is an air dam? I am assuming it covers gaping holes so air gets pushed out of the way...but wouldnt it be easier if the air was allowed to go inside the bay then to be ramed out of the way?

Old 10-16-2007, 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: zro26t

ORIGINAL: ckebottle

LOL! I take it you follow the letter of the law as opposed to the spirit of the law?

I might have misunderstood you...but I hope you don't equate 5 over and 80 over as the same.
It depends on where you are, and the officer's discretion. I think what 19Accord97 is pointing out, is that in most places, you'll get cited for exceeding the speed limit whether you're doing 5 over or 80 over. We all know that there's a penalty depending on severity, but you get the idea, right? Hope so.
I was referring to this "No one can really bash him. Im sure everyone of you has sped before, and whether you are going 5 over or 80 over you are breaking the law."

There is a huge difference between going 5 over and 80 over. Someone who drives 5 over the speed limit I think has every right to bash someone who drives 55 mph over the speed limit. You get where I am coming from, right? I hope so.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:46 AM

I see what you're saying... you're just justifying what's not as bad, but the point I think some are making is just like the ole phrase "whether you win by an inch or win by a mile, winning is still winning". Some are going to argue the point of whether you're speeding by 5, 10, 15, or 55, speeding is still speeding. On the other hand, there'slevels of consequences (obviously)depending on how extreme you want to speed. But it's still the pot calling the kettle black.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

ORIGINAL: falkore24

It was fake
http://www.cultdeadcow.com/cDc_files/cDc-0363.php

Im not convinced, but thats a pretty elaborate story, and a pretty good read real or not.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:17 PM

Oh, btw, what is an air dam? I am assuming it covers gaping holes so air gets pushed out of the way...but wouldnt it be easier if the air was allowed to go inside the bay then to be ramed out of the way?
An air dam blocks the radiator openings. At high speed, the aerodynamic drag is more when it gets into the engine bay than if it goes around the car. Mainly because there is no path for it to follow to an exit point; it pushes and causes drag on everything in the way. 3rd law of newtonian physics - every reaction has an equal and opposite reaction ..... if there are a lot of small drags under the hood, they slow down the car. The dam causes a single larger drag, but vs. the total of the smaller ones, it is less.

Quick Reply: Increasing MPH