Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Infiniti G35

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 01:22 AM
Default Infiniti G35

I don't know much about this car, so anyone got an opinion?

The V6, RWD, and auto have got me a bit interested.

I understand that Infiniti is the upper end line of Nissan.

How's it compare with those other great Japanese cars - Lexus and Acura?

Are they manufactured in Japan?

Thanks

Old 10-29-2006, 01:32 AM
Default RE: Infiniti G35

which year are you looking for and the sedan or coupe?

Old 10-29-2006, 01:45 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

If I am right, the Infiniti g35 is the undercover Skyline. I may be wrong though....

Old 10-29-2006, 02:20 AM

yah i think your right. in japan they call the g35 skyline instead.

Old 10-29-2006, 02:24 PM

yup ,,, Coupé only
ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

If I am right, the Infiniti g35 is the undercover Skyline. I may be wrong though....

Old 10-29-2006, 03:31 PM

Yes, it is a Skyline in Japan. In fact, I saw a CBC segment that talked about folks in Canada importing 15-yr-old Skylines. I guess they're the cat's meow when it comes to raw performance and great handling, and this is why some go through the bother. Some of them were tubocharged straight sixes with RWD. Here's a beautiful example:
Name:  800px-R32_skyline_front.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  81.8 KB
Name:  800px-R32_skyline_rear.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  45.6 KB

Below is a local 2005 G35 4-dr, 285 HP V-6, REAR wheel drive (which I love), and 5 sp auto. There's supposedly 43.9 inches of front leg room in this car. If that number is accurate, I might very well fit comfortably in the thing, too.
Name:  2004_Infiniti_G35_Sedan6.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  44.1 KB
Name:  2005_Infiniti_G35_Sedan4.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  41.3 KB
Name:  2004_Infiniti_G35_Sedan1.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  47.2 KB

I've checked carreview.com and owners seem to be quite satisfied with them. I was hoping that someone here may know someone who owns one, or maybe even have owned one him/herself in the past.

Every so often I get the new-car bug. The reason I have it for this car is that it's RWD, seems to have a good reputation, and is a lot less dough than the Acura or Lexus - probably because the name is relatively unknown.

I'm very curious about what a 285 hp, RWD car drives like - especially one that is about the same size as our 120 hp, FWD 92 Accord, so maybe I'll go take it for a test drive. If I do, I'll post my impressions.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

In terms of raw engine performance a TL is better....it is .5 sec qicker to 60 and through the quater mile....RWD is find and dandy on dry pavement but I would not want to driver that sucker in the winter time....it is a whole different ball game.......the coupes get the stronger engine as well compared to the sedans....

Me, I am going to get a new 2007 TL type S ehehheeh

Old 10-29-2006, 07:40 PM
uncoild
Unregistered

Here is my opinion.. so don't shoot the messenger! While recently shopping for a new car to replace my BMW, I went and test drove an Infiniti G35 sedan. First impressions; nice car, quick, great exhaust note, handles well, interior material ah so-so not that great, but as car critics have stated , good car for the money, but seriiously not a bimmer. Lousy gasoline mileage... and I can attested to it. Worst than the bimmer. Nissan/Infiniti is in a sales slump and well. I tried the Acura TL... forget it. Far close performance wise.. problem... front drive although much nicer interior than the Infiniti. Heard exciting potential for '07 TL.... very disappointed. Type S well too much $$$. For 35K-40K+ I'll choose the BMW.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the review.

I figured with that much hp, the gas mileage cannot be that great.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:56 PM

My wife and I sat in two cars today - an Inifinti G35 and a 2002 Lexus LS430. It was the first time I ever sat in either brand.

To make the short G35 story very short, there was not enough leg room for me in the G35. The End.

The Lexus LS 430 is one big car - as big inside as our old Mercedes 560SEL, or my parents' 1961 Bucik Electra 225. My wife and I were very comfortable in it. Plenty of leg room for me.

One big difference between Mercedes and Lexus is that Lexus owners are almost unanimous in their praise of the quality and reliability of their cars. Most former Mercedes owners refer to themselves as "walking wounded", or "survivors" of a Mercedes "financial seige".

Believe it or not, the Lexus was on display in the used-car show room of a Kia dealership. The one and only previous owner was an old gentleman who recently died. Somehow the dealership had acquired the car from the man's widow. (I wish I could have been a fly on the wall during the dealership's "negotiations" with the poor widow.)

The car has 44000 kilometers - a little over 27K miles - on it, and, as far as I can tell, it is in beautiful, show room condition - a real stunner in and out. The previous owner probably never drove it during the winter. Sand color outside and black leather inside.

I really like the Lexus, but I also love our 92 Accord - the car that's lately running so good that it allows us to avoid spending over $40K for the Lexus. I ask myself - what will the Lexus provide that our Accord will not? The Lexus sold for at least $84K when new - that's a depreciation of over $40k in five model years. Yikes!

To my knowledge, there's only one Lexus dealer in Edmonton, so an Edmonton Lexus owner had better be on his/her best bahavior when going to that place for anything. Also, on an $84K vehicle, a little voice tells me that parts are going to be very very expensive - probably at least 3 times as expensive as the equivalent Honda part, and let's face it, Honda parts are not exactly cheap, either.

One thing I am astounded at is that the real-world highway gas consumption on this 290-hp vehicle is between 26 and 29 mpg. http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef806d4/0 Amazing. I think our 120 hp Accord does only marginally better than that - mabe a bit over 31 mpg. How does Lexus do it?

It is a very impressive car, indeed.

Just in case anyone's interested, here's a CanadianDriver review of the 2001 LS 430:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/testdrives/01ls430.htm

Quick Reply: Infiniti G35