Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Infiniti G35 (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/infiniti-g35-5683/)

YeuEmMaiMai 11-02-2006 01:46 PM

RE: Infiniti G35

I would not be too suprised about FI

1994 accord LX
25/34 mpg
130hp
2880lbs
revs at 70mph 2800

1998 accord lx v6
25/24 mpg
200 hp
3197 lbs
revs at 70mph 2200

2002 acura cl type s modified with headers
23/32mpg
290hp
3510lbs
revs at 70mph 2000

each engine's fuel management and hp output is a significant improvement over the previous one and the acura has 2 over drive gears. I bet if the acura weighed the same as the accord, it's milage would be the same...

Tony1M 11-02-2006 03:15 PM

Yeu,
You're right. When it comes to having up-to-date knowledge of vehicle fuel consumption, I guess I've been living in a cave since 92.

For example, I just took a look at the 07 Camry's highway fuel consumption data:
158 hp 4 cyl - 43 mpg
268 hp V6 - 40 mpg !!! Amazing, but I simply have to wonder if these are real-world numbers.

And the new Lexus LS460 is an absolutely astounding vehicle in every way - especially the price - and the fuel consumption is, again, amazing.
http://www.automobilemag.com/am/2007...fications.html
380 hp; city-19 mpg highway-27 mpg Again, if an owner achieves this in the real world is a big question. If they do, then I guess you CAN get blood out of a stone. In the 60's, you'd be lucky to get 15 mpg out of a car that had that much hp, and this was in the days BEFORE any vehicle emission restrictions.

lightshow 11-02-2006 04:05 PM

the g 35 is ripped. even the old sedan one. the new one has even more hp. the acceleration is big block quick. i have never driven a 3.2 type s but the g35 feels much quicker. once the second stage of timing kicks in at about 3 thousand the tach just slaps over, and a 35 with a shorty intake on it has a ferocious sound that is on its own level. i just bought a q 45 a couple months ago and it is really nice. i am a little worried about the window motors going out.....because (nissan)........ but other than that its been great. i just took it on a 3000 mile road trip last weekend and it was nice. seat heaters, bose stereo, smooth ride. it will go up the steepest hill and never need to shift with the big v8. it averaged 25 mpg. i did get into some bad snow though and i got worried a little bit. i was coming out of seattle and went through "the pass" and it was like a blizzard, everyone was stuck except for the 4 wheel drives. i went sideways and had to slam on the brakes and when i came to a stop i was really dead in the water cause i didn t have any momentum. and then the TCS kept cutting out the power cause the tires were just spinning. so i just turned the tcs off and dumped it and drifted up the entire hill, it was probably a mile or more. i can only imaging what the other people were thinking especially when they saw my arizona license plate

sir_nasty 11-02-2006 08:28 PM

*ROFL* the visual that I just got of that happening is hysterical.... I travel to spokane frequently and that's over two different mountain passes so I feel your pain but I would have loved to see that...

YeuEmMaiMai 11-02-2006 11:04 PM

if you turn off the VSA on my car and step on the gas you don't move...the tires don't get grip and just spin.......i rather not eat tires CL type S inst the faestest car out there but for under $500 you can get almost 50 HP with mods. Unfortunately with the new TL type S you cannot add headers and if the trend hold true, an exhaust isn't really good for more than 2 hp.

Tony1M 11-03-2006 04:15 PM

Because I was pretty taken with the big Lexus, I have been doing some investigation of the relative prices of 2002 Lexus LS430, vs. 1992 Honda Accord replacement parts - parts that one certainly will have to replace on either car as time goes on and the miles pile up.

Here are some approximate price comparisons (92 Accord left colum, 02 Lexus LS430 right column) using two rather famous on-line Honda (Majestic Honda) and Lexus (Park Place) vendors:
Front damper...........$85......$81
Rear damper............$88.....$73
Front spring.............$46......$114
Frnt lwr ball joint......$16......$76
Upper control arm....$138....$380
Outer tie rod............$50......$57
Inner tie rod.............$41......$100
Tie rod boot.............$16......$15
Frnt brake pads...... .$38......$54
Steering knuckle...... $189.....$225
Transmission............$????...$2360
Alternator.................$200.....$311
Radiator...................$216.....$360
Water Pump..............$50...... $109
Starter.....................$300.....$230

Well, the difference in OEM price between these various parts is not nearly as great as I thought it would be - particularly for those parts that constitute the real "consumables" of every car - dampers, pads, ball joints, tie rods, etc.

Frankly, I'd also rather work on a RWD car than a FWD. If the Lexus V8 engine is anything like GM, there's no doubt that the water pump is going to be much easier to replace on the Lexus. In the unfortunate event that the tranny goes, I'd rather replace it on the RWD.

It appears to me that the original cost and reliability of the car are the all-important factors. If you pay $80000 for a Lexus and keep it for 20 years, the cost of ownership, aside from any maintenance costs, is $4000 per year. If you pay $20000 for a vehicle and keep if for 20 years, your cost of ownership is $1000 per year. Ideally, if one wanted a Lexus, the thing to do is pick up a well-depreciated, but low-mile, well-maintained car - like the one we just sat in!

One thing really scares me, though. If you pay the big Lexus "entry fee", what happens when all those innumerable, fancy "gizmos" start failing - as they all must in the end? Those are things that, if you want to keep, are certainly going to "nickel and dime" you to financial death. It's a very sobering thought.

I guess it all depends on what you are willing to pay, and how "comfortable" you want to be, to get from point A to point B.