Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Ipod or Zune?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 11:49 PM
Default Ipod or Zune?

OK so I have a question. Which device Ipod or Zune is better? I plan on hooking this up to my pioneer radio in my car. I am wondering if the Zune has the same cord and plugs that will hook up to the pioneer adapter. The pioneer adapter has the plugs for the apple Ipod and I'm wondering if the Zune has the same plugs. So if anyone can help with my decision that would be great. Thanks guys!

Old 11-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Ipod or Zune?

why not include creative zen in there?

Old 11-23-2006, 02:28 AM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Ah! Good choices there! I have the 8 gig Creative Zen Microphoto and love it! The Apple ipod is nice...but is soon being replaced with a newer model that doesnt have a wheel...but is instead touchscreen. I got first hand experience with a Zune yesterday...not much time with it but I really liked it. It makes the ipod look outdated plus the screen is bigger. And with the Zune (and the Zen) your not stuck having to deal with iTunes. But Creative also makes a Zen thats the same size as the iPod for the same price with the same features. It basically depends on what you like more. Right now, I would have the pod in 3rd place as they are pretty easy to break. And a tie between the Zen and Zune. Let us know what you choose! Oh yeah, as for docking im not sure. i dont know how the iPod hooks up to your car, but im assuming is the connection at the bottom of the ipod? I looked underneath the Zune and it looks just alike, but I would assume its different.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:45 AM

I have a zune and there are a few areas of concern

1. you NEED Windows XP SP2 to use it. If you use any other OS like Win 2K, Vista, at this time you are SOL
2. They claim 14 hr battery life, you will NEVER SEE IT. 12 hours and you are done no matter what FM radio or MP3 playback is the same batt life.
3. Inability to use the damned thing as a HDD (removable storage)
4. Ramdom reboots and it forgets what your volume settings are, what you were listening to, etc
5. Does not appear to work with a powered USB hub unless you remove power to the hub when you turn off your PC or power cycle it

There are some pluses though

1. Large screen
2. Ability to upgrade device to larger 1.8" Toshiba HDD (so far up to 80gb tested) if you are some what tech savvy
3. VIDEO LOOKS OUTSTANDING
4. Slick interface
5. Audio is better than an Ipod
6. Unlimited FM presets? (I have not found a limit yet)
7. Solid construction
8. Software updates may be coming to address shortcomings

Accessories for this device are EXPENSIVE (same as I-pod) so no releif there...lol

Old 11-23-2006, 01:12 PM

I think the limit is the hard drive space when it comes to those fm presets, but those only use something like.... 5k if even that, then use as removable storage thats always drivers ^_^ it will be up to microsoft if they ever let you use it as a hard drive

my question, for video play back, is that 12 hours as well or no? cause if it is 12 hours thats not really a shortcoming cause a lot of players get the battery life sucked when watching videos

but a link to creatives website and all their mp3 products
http://www.creative.com/products/wel...p?category=213

Old 11-23-2006, 01:57 PM

you'll be lucky to get 4 hours out of it...

Old 11-23-2006, 10:31 PM

not surprising

Old 11-27-2006, 12:42 AM

Ok so I bought the 80gb Ipod. It is great. I had no problem with getting all fo my music onto it. Also I bought it because I was able to get the pioneer adapter that hooked it up to my radio with no problem. It sound so great. The pioneer adapter really enhances the mp3s and they sound better than a CD.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:00 AM

Here are two more MAJOR advantages to a ZUNE

1. you can back up things FROM your device (see #2 as to why this is great)
2. you can connect to another user's PC as a guest and then dowload songs / videos / pictures that you select from their play list/library- Without wiping out your play list

You can remove and install a different HDD up to 120GB (largest tested) 80GB and smaller drives allow you to put the cover back on since they are the same size as a 30GB.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:22 PM

You can also back up things from an iPod using "iPod Rip", which can be found here. There is aversion for both XP and OS X.

Quick Reply: Ipod or Zune?