Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

letting car sit???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 09:41 PM
raven1049
Unregistered
Default letting car sit???

My friend left her 1998 Honda Accord with me while she is stationed in Japan. I live in SC. She has not had the vehicle registered and the plates are expired, nor do I have power of attorney to do anything with the car. I am unable to drive the car, so the car has been sitting since Dec 2005. She was told that as long as the car is turned on every once and again, it should be fine. I disagree. I believe the car needs to be driven, because the tires may rot, and the engine needs to cycle through on the road. I do not NEED to drive the car, because I have my own, but I am not sure that in three years her car is going to be in the best condition. Who is right?

Old 05-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Default RE: letting car sit???

I would agree with you on this. It is a good idea to keep all those moving parts alive and well (wheel bearings, transmission parts, etc) by simply using them. Just like exercise for us humans...

If she doesn't want the car actually driven, I would at least have it covered (to protect it from the elements and UV rays).

Old 05-22-2006, 10:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Other consideration, metal gas tank, if theres any moisture it will eventually rust through

Old 05-22-2006, 10:46 PM

yeah good point Marbro. Also, gas gets bad with age. Fuel stabilzer will help - if it's in the entire system.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:05 AM

agreed. Just pulled out an old chevelle that had been sitting idle in a garage for several years. Body had some rust, tire rot, and even ended up with some broken studs when trying to loosen lug nuts. Had no engine, so I don't know how that would have went, but won't you end up with bad gaskets and o-rings if the car sits a while?

Old 05-23-2006, 12:07 AM

oh, and i forgot, did she buy the car from a dealer or private party? I also live in SC. Dealer should have been able to file all the ppw with the dmv. As long as she signed everything that would have been required when she bought the car, anyone should be able to pay property tax and get the registration.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:13 AM

after three years it will not be in very good condition at all. fuel stabil is a must

Old 05-23-2006, 03:44 AM

this is what i would do,,,,,, raise the car off the floor and put it on jack stands or cement blocks, even better,, other wise the tires will develop a flat spot,,
once raised , than you can start car periodically and go through all the gears as well..

run it at idle, speed up and slow down, hit the brakes etc etc,, make sure you run the car enough to go through a tank of gas at least once a month , than fill tank back up again and do it all over again...
thiis way , gas will stay fresh ,,not any older than grand ma just driving to grocery store once a week and to church once a sunday .. and all engine parts will be lubed and tranny will work as well...

It will take a bit of doing on your part ..........MAKE sure that before you might leave car alone idling ,,that the fans are working and car is not overheating ,,,,

Old 05-23-2006, 09:31 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

this is what i would do,,,,,, raise the car off the floor and put it on jack stands or cement blocks, even better,, other wise the tires will develop a flat spot,,
once raised , than you can start car periodically and go through all the gears as well..

run it at idle, speed up and slow down, hit the brakes etc etc,, make sure you run the car enough to go through a tank of gas at least once a month , than fill tank back up again and do it all over again...
thiis way , gas will stay fresh ,,not any older than grand ma just driving to grocery store once a week and to church once a sunday .. and all engine parts will be lubed and tranny will work as well...

It will take a bit of doing on your part ..........MAKE sure that before you might leave car alone idling ,,that the fans are working and car is not overheating ,,,,
This is excellent advice.

However I own a Classic car which is not used over the winter at all. I pump the tires upto their maximum pressure to help support the sidewall and help prevent flatspots. I turn the car over and run it for about 20 mins or 10 mins once at normal running temp every three weeks at the most sometimes 2. I then reverse out onto my drive back and forth a few times. I operate the A/C and the electric windows/mirrors.

It is in a dry (but not de-humidfied) garage that I need to access from time to time, which is why I do not remove the wheels.