Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

live2rice's Official Motor Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

An update, the F20B swap ended up being a major pain, everything that could go wrong did go wrong. Spent weeks trying to figure out why it was running insanely rich(we are talking filling a garage with smoke in a few minutes). Replaced ECUs and other parts to no avail. Ended up being a leaking MAP o ring, almost impossible to diagnose. But the damage was already done. The gas that had been poured into the engine destroyed the rod bearings as well as the balancer shaft bearings.

The car sits now with new rod bearings, but still bad balancer shafts. I got to drive it one day in the last two years. I am hoping to cut the balancer shaft belt and call it good in a few weeks, then work on working out all the other kinks so it will be ready next summer to drive. It sucks though because the cops in my area are starting to crack down on modified cars and mine doesn't even give the impression to be half legal.

I wanted to do nitrous, and have a decently fast car, but I dont know how much money I want to put into the car anymore. It was my first car so I don't want to get rid of it or see it sit in pieces.

I am thinking of buying an Audi S4 or volvo S60 T5 for a daily driver. I want to do rims, lowering, intake and exhaust on this just to have a nice, clean looking daily driver that is way faster than the accord. They both make 250+hp stock.

Heres how it sits now:

Old 12-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Supper Moderator

Personally if I was in your shoes. I take the money and dump it into the accord.
Drop her to get rid of the wheel gap. Fix for block and delete your balancing shafts.
Find a h22 head and swap then swap over your cams from the f20b PnP the intake mani. Valve train and bisi h22 header and a good tune. Put some tint and paint your roll bars black. That would be much cheaper and faster than buying a new car. But liek I said that would be my choice.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

It would be fast yes, but not really practical for a daily driver. My 4 door is slowly crapping the bed, so I need a new daily driver. It will be kinda ironic when my daily driver is faster than my "race car" but oh well. And the roll bar was black and I painted it white so it would stand out more.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

Another update on the car.

F20B somehow blew a head gasket, replaced it, now it seems to have some sort of oil leak in the number 3 cylinder. It still has a rattling/knocking noise that neither I nor my mechanic friends can figure out. It sputters and back fires when it runs. There is a guy somewhat locally selling a H22A with LSD tranny for a decent price so I think I am just going to pick that up and call it a day with the f20b.

Here are some pics.

F20B with the head off.

Accord with my daily driver, a T5 S60.

What I have just sitting waiting for the Accord to be running right.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Supper Moderator

hummmmmmm...I want thos pistons/rods and crank, If you part out keep me in mind bud!

Old 06-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

If i can get this engine running right and know I don't need anything else off the f20b we can work something out.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:55 PM

Oi Havent been on in forever, came to see whats up, and saw this. Sorry to hear about your f20b they are actually good motors from what I hear. Good luck with the swap and getting everything up and running. Guy I met has an f20b civic. Hes trying to convince me to put an f20b in my car lol.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

holy heck its been forever since I updated this.

So the F20B ended up having tons of problems, spun bearings, scratched cylinder walls, etc etc. Decided to cut my losses on that.

Picked up a H22A off craigslist, put it in, started it up, immediately realized there was a problem. Dropped the oil pan and found the bearings.

Didn't have the time or desire to rebuild that, so sold it to someone who did.

Was in a hurry to get the car running as summer was fast approaching and the car hadn't been driven in years. Decided to pick up a F22b1 from the local junkyard for cheap. Cleaned it up and put it in the same day. So the setup now is a f22b1 with a m2b4 LSD tranny.

Put about 150 miles on the car that summer.

Never got to try out the nitrous as I couldn't get the tune to a point where I felt spraying it was a good idea.

I won't have any time to drive or work on the car this year. But at least it is in a state where it is running and driveable.

So that brings me to my plan. My plan is over the next year or two turn it into a full drag car. I plan to turbo this engine as is for now until it blows. And while that is running be building a built f22a to swap in. Eventually I would like to get it under 10 seconds in 1/4 mile. But of course with a set up like this it all comes down to if you can put the power to the ground, not how much power you can make.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I really like how the paint under the hood came out.

Sorry you have had so many problems, I wish you good luck on your goals.

Also PM'ing you now about a question about your interior.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by crispin
I really like how the paint under the hood came out.

Sorry you have had so many problems, I wish you good luck on your goals.

Also PM'ing you now about a question about your interior.
Thank you, making friends with a painter was one of the best things I have ever done. I have less than $500 into paint work including materials for exterior, interior, roll bar, engine bay.

Its especially not bad because the engine bay was painted where the car sits in my garage. Took months for the clear coat smell to go away haha.

Last edited by live2rice; 05-04-2012 at 10:42 AM.

Quick Reply: live2rice's Official Motor Build Thread