Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

My new car(1.3L of fury)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
Default My new car(1.3L of fury)

Taking delivery of this bad boy next week. I have always wanted a RWD sports car and I finally was able to get one. It is a Mazda Rx7 twin turbo.

It is basically stock except for a downpipe and exhaust and coilover suspension. It has been completely rebuilt and a few reliability mods done to it.

I am going to use the car as a fun weekend cruiser with the very rare track day.

My plans for the car:

short term:
Install Greddy FMIC
BBS Rims
Boost gauge
Coolant temp gauge
Upgraded radiator
Replace cat with mid pipe
Oil coolers

Long term:
99 spec front end conversion
Bride seats
JDM spec Bride rear seats
Nardi steering wheel
Carbon fiber hatch
Carbon fiber door panels
Aftermarket intake

Old 01-20-2013, 01:26 AM
Administrator

Nice , Nice...Nice

Old 01-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

OOOhhhh, JEALOUS. That's the generation of RX7 that I lusted after.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

I have liked them for a long time. It was actually the first car I ever looked at when I was 15 but of course it was out of my price range then.

The wife thinks I'm a little crazy for spending so much on a 1993 but you should have seen the smiles on both our faces when we showed up to the guys house to look at it. We were just in awe as to how sexy it is.

I went back and forth between a ton of cars, s2000, g35, 350z, evo, and mainly a bmw m3. But the rx7 came out on top for being the right price and being a true sports car. With the M3 I would have had to sell my Volvo and make the M3 my daily where as with the RX7 I can afford to keep my Volvo for day to day.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:00 PM

Is it a 13b?

Old 01-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, no LS swaps here.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Well got to drive it around a few days now. A lot of fun to drive, twin turbos are awesome, boost all the way through the RPMs. Got a few little gremlins to work out. Got a CEL for a o2 sensor yesterday but I drove it 20 miles or so since then and it never came back on so I'm going to keep an eye out for that. The radio currently doesn't work which is a little bummer, so I just listen to the turbos.

Checked the mpgs today and I got 15mpg Which its rated for 15/23 and I have had a lot of warm up and cool down time because its been a little chilly here lately so thats not too bad.

The paint on the body is in amazing shape considering its 20 years old. But the bumpers are definitely showing their age. Interior is also in very good shape.

Only "mods" I plan to do immediately are:
oil change
New lug nuts
New Front Emblem
Fix radio
Pettit racing thermostat
Pettit racing Fan switch
Pettit racing Coolant Overflow

Heres a few more pics:

Attached Thumbnails My new car(1.3L of fury)-424158_129424170557805_275008369_n.jpg  
Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Apparently the rotors & housings are nice little repeat-units. You can turn it into 1960cc pretty easy.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, the 20b is a very popular swap, the guy I bought this from's personal car is a 20b. But the cost is quite expensive and just adds a little torque, as the 2 rotor can make all the hp you would ever need. One of the old Mazda cars came with the 20b, just non turbo so most people just swap those in and turbo it rather than make their own out of 13bs. Mainly cause its cheaper to buy the 20b than make your own eccentric shaft.

Even saw a couple 4 rotors made up, you just have to custom make a new eccentric shaft which is obviously costly. One guy put one in a old volvo sedan.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

Did some work on the car yesterday. The car stereo didn't work as I mentioned. Took all this out of the car. Looks like the system was originally installed by a somewhat coherent person then messed with by a baboon. Got all the wiring back to factory and installed a pioneer head unit so I have a radio/cd player/ipod hook up now. Will get pics of that today. Easy $80 fix with the price of the new head unit. Wasn't expecting it to go that easy.

Name:  photo-1_zpsf97774fb.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  210.4 KB

Sadly I noticed while taking all this wiring out that a lot of the screws/clips that hold the interior pieces on are missing. Going to see if I can find some that will work without having to pay OEM prices. Get a lot of creeks/squeaks driving around because of this.

Quick Reply: My new car(1.3L of fury)