Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

New member in need of advice - 99 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 05:02 PM
Default New member in need of advice - 99 Accord

Hello everyone,

I just registered today for a couple of reasons. I've owned a '99 Accord EX since 2005 so that's one reason I'm here. The main reason though is I would greatly appreciate a little commentary on the matter at hand:

My father bought an '05 Accord EX new in 2005 and is looking to upgrade to a 2016 Civic. He is letting my wife and I have first crack at buying his '05 Accord.

We are wanting to purchase the car, but are having some conflict as to which one of our cars we should get rid of. Money is tight and the purchase is for reliability reasons.

My wife's car:
2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 2DR 4cyl AT coupe, 135k miles, no power windows, no power locks. Never been in an accident, regular maintenance kept, no major work foreseen in the near future. Little rust.

My car: 1999 Accord EX 4DR 4cyl AT, 260k miles. Everything works, new tires put on 15,000 miles ago, new front and rear brakes and calipers, new battery. Engine and transmission runs great, but have been noticing some cold start delays/abnormalities and think it may be the starter going bad (pinging/tinny rattle sound not related to loose heat shield/splash gaurd). Infamous clear coat is flaking off and hood is slightly warped due to a small fender bender that happened long ago. Little rust.

Requesting your feedback in helping my wife and I decide which car go get rid of. The 99 Accord has been my first and only car I've owned since I started driving, which is why I'm having some issues thinking about letting it go with how great it still runs.

Thanks in advance,

Miles

Old 01-04-2016, 05:58 AM

Were it my decision and from what you've described... I'd sell the Cavalier. Regardless of which car you turn loose, the one you keep is eventually going to need some maintenance. It's simply my opinion, however, I feel as if the Accord is a better built vehicle than the Cavalier... nothing against Chevrolet, it's just given a choice, I would select Honda