Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

New Years Resolutions 2008

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 05:27 AM
Default RE: New Years Resolutions 2008

I quit smoking 5 years ago. It was easy. Get a surgeon to say that you have less than a year to live and that he would not carry out heart by-pass on a smoker. Piece of cake !

Old 01-01-2008, 06:55 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

that's called motivation.

Old 01-01-2008, 09:45 AM

My....... New Years
Resolution Make more $$$$$ so i can spend More!!!
Also to Pimp out my Snowflake (aka 91 Accord)

Old 01-01-2008, 05:33 PM

SO JON, how's the Cheeb? Does it taste like a Marlboro?
(I bet myself a nickle I couldn't go one day-I lost.[sm=bounceybounce.gif])

Old 01-01-2008, 05:36 PM

ExLady, you're the only one of us with any sense at all.
(or maybe it's just me). I woulda posted that as a resolution if I thought there was a chance of more $!

Old 01-02-2008, 10:00 AM

I went for about 1/2 the day yesterday without a smoke and I started acting like a total @$$. I am going to "cut back" first and take it slow. Only smoke when I start acting like a royal turd.
Looks like I am already falling short of the last resolution on my list[&o]

Old 01-02-2008, 10:16 AM

Quitting Smoking:

When I smoked a lot, I cut back by taking an empty pack and putting 7 cigs in it to last me for the day ..... then when you get cravings, you have to see how much longer the day is and how many smokes that you have .... it discourages you from smoking too much and makes you ration the cigs .... after a week cut that back to 6 and so forth. After you can do 3-4 cigs a day for 2 weeks, then you are ready to go cold-turkey. After you completely stop, your attitude will take about 2 weeks to get back to normal and it'll take about 3 months to stop coughing ..... the cough gets worst about 3 weeks after you stop.

Also, start smoking half a cig at a time.

Working out helps the quitting. When you are out of breath and nothing but your lungs are tired, you know why and it drives you to keep your lungs clean.

Losing Weight:

1) Exercise daily. Even if it's as simple as parking in the last spot and walking for 10 minutes to the office and back. Try to power walk it.
2) Don't eat ANYTHING within 4 hours of going to bed.
3) Eat enough that you are not full, but satisfied.
4) Drink water at all times. An ounce of water per pound of body weight per day should be the target.
5) Have more sex. Best cardio workout there is! You can train muscles as well with various positions. This also helps deal with stress (and can fit into the 1st recommendation).

Old 01-02-2008, 10:28 AM

I agree with your points above. My biggest problem area is in the car on my way to and from work in the morning, at lunch, and on the way home. I guess it's just because I am so used to smoking in the car. i am definitely going to do as you said and only put a few smokes in an empty pack.

I always had a problem with my weight growing up and I lost all the fat before. So I knowhow to lose it, it is just making myself do what I already know how to do. Your suggestions on weight loss are good. I am a big supporter of the "6 small meals a day" being the best method to lose weight and to maintain it. it is just a PITA to prepare all of that food and bring it to work. You are exactly right about the water intake too. It is a lot more water than 8 glasses a day. For me, I need to drink like 230 oz of water every day. That's almost 2 gallons! That is another reason why drinking water helps you lose weight too. because you are so full from the water. Also, a half a grapefruit before bed is actually good for weight loss IMO. i don't know what it is about grapefruit, but it works to keep the metabolism up.
Having more sex increases the likelihood of having another child. That would cause weight gain and wallet strain[:-]

Old 01-02-2008, 10:45 AM

Let's see ..... as I remember it, the toughest times to quit are as follows:

1) After a meal
2) While driving (I used to do delivery ... argh!)
3) After sex (not bad IMO since my gf at the time didn't smoke)
4) When waiting ..... for anything
5) When drinking alcohol
6) After class

Old 01-02-2008, 10:45 AM

yeah i've heard that bout grapefruit as well, i think it has something to do with the high acidity in the citrus?

hah.. you could do like bruce willis' character on fifth element did and get ciggarrettes that are the reverse of your ty pical cigg where the longer portion is a filter, and the shorter portion is the tobacco.. i laughed my butt off when i first saw that..
here's a pic i found, but i could have sworn it was just like i described... funny either way

http://www.yourprops.com/view_item.php?movie_prop=7358

Quick Reply: New Years Resolutions 2008