Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Oil Consumption Lawsuit Settled!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Default Oil Consumption Lawsuit Settled!!!!

Just wanted to update everyone on the forum concerning the Class Action lawsuit settlement concerning oil consumption.

There were 2 cases filed against honda for excessive oil consumption. The one case involves the V6 engine found in the following vehicles:

2008–10 Accord V6 A/T – ALL
2011 Accord V6 A/T – SOME
2010 Accord Crosstour – ALL
2011 Accord Crosstour 2WD – SOME
2011 Accord Crosstour 4WD – SOME
2008–10 Odyssey EX-L, Touring - ALL
2011 Odyssey – SOME
2009–10 Pilot – ALL
2011 Pilot 2WD – SOME
2011 Pilot 4WD – SOME

That case involved extreme engine misfiring and excessive oil consumption. More info can be found here on this particular case: Excessive Oil Consumption in Honda Engines | HondaProblems.com

The second case involved the accord 2.5 liter engine (2008-2010) and only had to do with excessive oil consumption. More info can be found here on that particular case: Honda Accord Oil Defect Class Action Lawsuit

Both cases merged together as one.

The settlement is as follows. Anyone with the misfire issue from the v6 will get reimbursed for their repairs and have their warranties extended to eight years. In order to receive that claim, they gave up their rights to any excessive oil consumption claim. No action will be taken for the 4 cylinder engines since they didn't experience the misfire issue. The lawyers could not find an industry standard that specified what the term "excessive oil consumption" amounts to.

Conclusion: Anyone with the 2008-2010 4 cylinder 2.5 accord will not have any legal recourse regarding this issue.

As you can probably tell, i've been somewhat involved since my 2008 with 62,000 miles on it is eating 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles driven. Dealer was telling me everything is "A OK" (frigin unbelievable. They should be ashamed). I figured i'd pass on this knowledge to everyone else who may be experiencing similar issues.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Good reading..I'm going to have to read furthur up on this cause I'ts got my interest.

WheelBrokerAng

Old 09-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

The U.S. Accord 4 cylinders were 2.4 liters (K24 engines), not 2.5.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:40 PM

sorry about that typo.....why was this thread moved to "off topic". i couldnt be more relevant.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

You originally posted in the General Tech Help section, which is for users to ask general help questions. Your thread is not requesting/asking for help. You're just posting info.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:16 PM

is there a better place for me to put it?. It a pretty important post for alot of owners.

BTW....thanks for the quick reply....

Old 10-20-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Greygoose
As you can probably tell, i've been somewhat involved since my 2008 with 62,000 miles on it is eating 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles driven. Dealer was telling me everything is "A OK" (frigin unbelievable. They should be ashamed). I figured i'd pass on this knowledge to everyone else who may be experiencing similar issues.
Well, for owners, there's perhaps just a bit of a silver lining to this dark cloud.

I was once the owner of a '50s vehicle that burned about 1 quart per 1000 miles. I figured that with an oil-change interval of say 5 or 6,000 miles, the vehcile never needed another oil change, because the oil is "being changed" at the rate of full oil capacity every 5 or six thousand miles.

The downside is you'll probably have to at least clean you plugs more frequently and maybe using some Seafoam in the crankcase and maybe some in the gasoline occasionally to keep things clean.

Who knows, if it's the rings that are not yet seated properly because of hardness or whatever, maybe your oil consumption will go down over time instead of up.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Default Re: oil consumption lawsuit settled

My 2009 Accord EXLV6 began misfiring at about 14,000 miles. Dealer said could not find any problem except for very low oil level (less than 4000 miles since last oil change). Told me I would have to pay 3.5 hours labor, as there was no warranty coverage, because there was nothing wrong. They said they did download "some firmware that might help", but it was my responsibility to check the oil level more often, "preferably every time you fill the gas tank". 3 months later, severe misfiring again. This time they said the cause was a worn spark plug in #3 cylinder, and again charged me for labor and $21. for a $6. spark plug. Oh, yes, again they downloaded "some firmware that might help". Later I learned about the 2 TSB's, which, obviously, admitted there are problems. Complained to Honda, they said no warranty coverage because no defect could be found. Rage and frustration? You bet. Now Honda is finally being held accountable.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Default settlement problems

I recently took my car to the mechanic because the check engine light came on and he said that it was a misfire in one of the spark plugs and when he was inspecting my car he also noticed there wasn't oil. I found that weird because I just changed my oil one month to the day from when he told me about the problem. Also I changed the spark plugs and coil just one year ago. Long story short I heard about the misfire problem by doing some research and the oil consumption problem also. According to the class action suit it says "any and all 2010 Honda Accords V6 with the VCM 2" So i thought I had a clear cut case to get my car fixed but when I went to a Gillman Honda of Fort Bend (outside of Houston) they told me my car wasn't covered so I called American Honda from there (they weren't willing to let me use their phone to call Honda from there when I told them I get bad reception in the area they told me "phone was for business use" So I used my phone to call them and they said my cars Vin didn't qualify under the settlement but reading the settlement it says any and all which should be clear cut but they refused to fix it. So I drove to Dallas and took it to the dealership I bought the car from and told them my car is under the settlement they looked it up and agreed to fix it no questions asked. My question to you is I never got any notice about the class action lawsuit and when I tried to get my car fixed they were trying to say it's vin specific. Do you think that they never sent me notice of the class action because my vin didn't apply ? Then why does the final settlement say any and all". Do you think there are others that this has happened to? Why did Gillman Honda refuse to fix it and American Honda also say same thing but John Eagle Honda did it with no questions asked? Please let me know what you think about this issue.

Originally Posted by Greygoose
Just wanted to update everyone on the forum concerning the Class Action lawsuit settlement concerning oil consumption.

There were 2 cases filed against honda for excessive oil consumption. The one case involves the V6 engine found in the following vehicles:

2008–10 Accord V6 A/T – ALL
2011 Accord V6 A/T – SOME
2010 Accord Crosstour – ALL
2011 Accord Crosstour 2WD – SOME
2011 Accord Crosstour 4WD – SOME
2008–10 Odyssey EX-L, Touring - ALL
2011 Odyssey – SOME
2009–10 Pilot – ALL
2011 Pilot 2WD – SOME
2011 Pilot 4WD – SOME

That case involved extreme engine misfiring and excessive oil consumption. More info can be found here on this particular case: Excessive Oil Consumption in Honda Engines | HondaProblems.com

The second case involved the accord 2.5 liter engine (2008-2010) and only had to do with excessive oil consumption. More info can be found here on that particular case: Honda Accord Oil Defect Class Action Lawsuit

Both cases merged together as one.

The settlement is as follows. Anyone with the misfire issue from the v6 will get reimbursed for their repairs and have their warranties extended to eight years. In order to receive that claim, they gave up their rights to any excessive oil consumption claim. No action will be taken for the 4 cylinder engines since they didn't experience the misfire issue. The lawyers could not find an industry standard that specified what the term "excessive oil consumption" amounts to.

Conclusion: Anyone with the 2008-2010 4 cylinder 2.5 accord will not have any legal recourse regarding this issue.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:30 AM
Almost A Senior Member

My '09 V6 threw an engine code maybe a year ago and the dealer said it had three fouled plugs which they changed (for nothing) I paid for the other three and they did the service bulletin which was a computer reprogram or update or something like that. I put in maybe a quart of oil maybe ever oil change (roughly 4,000 miles) and at 107,000 miles and 7 years old I'm just running it and watching the oil level. Thinking when it's time maybe it'll be a Toyota Tacoma next, I'm liking the looks of them lately. My next vehicle I'll try not to buy the engine that shuts down cylinders that's the under lying cause of all this in my opinion. All this crap in the race for better mileage.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption Lawsuit Settled!!!!