Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

powerful media

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 01:08 AM
Default powerful media

Now I think it's safe to say that most all of us have seen both fast and furious's. And i started this thread b/c I dont know if anybody has already started one like this (prob. has) but I think this is something we need to talk about. How strong movies like this are haveing such a pull on the tuner market, now I'm not saying f&f started or made this sport better (by no means). But its naive to deny the effect it has had, so I would like to know what you think about whats going on with these movies starting these stereotypes. Like all tuners are ricers, and all us street race etc. (and no I'm not ragging on street racers).

Old 02-19-2006, 03:11 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: powerful media

Yes, F&F has some strong pulls into the market, and a lot of ignorant people that thought that was how things would work out when you modify a car.
Most stereotypes exist because of ignorance or just plain distaste of something.
Most people dont believe all tuners are ricers, they just believe that all people who modify hondas by putting body kits and neons on the car are ricers. Ive had people saying I was a ricer from the little bit ive done to my car, and none of it is external modification.
So, what did I do? I called them a moron cause they obviously havent heard what my car sounds or looks like.

Old 02-19-2006, 02:30 PM

I think they have as much pull as say, video games. If your talking about 'media' in general, overall I think it gives the perception of 'people takin' it to the limit!', but I think the reality of it is there are a number of enthusiast who spend lots of money and time to get their vehicles in optimum condition. These are the people who are the 'fanatics'. It's interesting to see how 'normal' people can veiw others. 'Normal' people could never understand how working on your vehicle, or making a vision come true, can feel. Anyways, if having these movies creates a stronger market (more/better variety of products), so be it. Although, the down side is having the unwanted attention of The Law breathing down your neck for no good reason.

Steve

Old 02-20-2006, 12:07 AM

I think that F&F has had a great effect on the tuner market and the tuner scene. The F&F is prolly the one reason why the Honda Civic has the biggest "rice" connotation to it. There is nothing wrong with the Civic, it can be a fast car if you want it to but it can also be a huge riced out POS if you want it to. When you tell someone that you have a civic, automatically they will think you are a ricer. Another thing is that people put crap like lambo doors and a body kit on thier car and think that they are hard because of the F&F.

Old 02-21-2006, 11:02 PM

I lilked a civic before F&F cam eup b/c their was soooo many upgrades for it. And as far as lambo doors I wanted to do that after I say a supra show car with them on it.

Old 02-21-2006, 11:03 PM

But I mean I don't like them anymore (civic)

Old 02-22-2006, 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: accord2k

Now I think it's safe to say that most all of us have seen both fast and furious's.
Unfortunately. This is what happens to cobras after F&F. (read the question and answer section for a good laugh)

oh and sorry for bashing you for the need for speed thing