Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

State Police Restricted to Interstates?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Default State Police Restricted to Interstates?

Are state police allowed to follow cars off the interstate for traffic violations and whatnot?

Old 04-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yes, they are state police because their jurisdiction covers the entire state.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:20 PM

Any idea what would make them not follow someone off?

Old 04-09-2009, 06:48 PM

Make them not follow someone? They don't follow people who are driving correctly and not acting suspicious...

Old 04-09-2009, 07:00 PM

lol, i mean they get someone speeding who gets off the highway and they don't follow them.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:15 PM

If your trying not to get pulled over than do not speed... When I'm being "cautious" I don't speed, but go a couple miles over the speed limit, and I literally mean 1 or 2. Don't ever look at a cop passing you or next to you, they always see that as nervousness. If they are really scoping you out, look over naturally and just smile. Drive perfectly and don't bring any attention to your self. No loud music or bass. And if you do get pulled over and you have dark tints put all your windows down. That's not to try and fool them so they don't see your tints, but so they can see everything going on in the car. One of the main reason dark tints are illegal is because cops don't know if there is a gun pointing at them from the other side. Also kill the engine, the more comfortable you have him the better. There are times where I really can not get pulled over, and I really get cautious and make sure I don't make a single mistake.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:59 PM

That's not it.

I saw someone doing at least 90 pass a cop who was standing next to his cruiser with a radar gun and obviously clocked him. The guy then got off the next exit and the cop didn't follow him off. Was trying to figure out why or maybe he just didn't see him get off.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:02 PM

The ONLY thing that would make a cop over look that if he thinks he's another cop or family member of a cop. My uncle is a high ranking police officer, specifically those biker cops, I forget what they are called. I used to have a front license plate with the symbol if the biker cops, only the cops themselves or immediate family members could get them. That got me out of small tickets yeah. Other than that nothing is really going to over look giving out another ticket, they need to give out so many each month... Also 20mph over the speed limit is a felony in a lot of states.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by t00fatt
The ONLY thing that would make a cop over look that if he thinks he's another cop or family member of a cop. My uncle is a high ranking police officer, specifically those biker cops, I forget what they are called. I used to have a front license plate with the symbol if the biker cops, only the cops themselves or immediate family members could get them. That got me out of small tickets yeah. Other than that nothing is really going to over look giving out another ticket, they need to give out so many each month... Also 20mph over the speed limit is a felony in a lot of states.
79 in a 55 (24 over) was still a gross misdemeanor in MN. 3 digits is an instant arrest and revocation of the license.

Good thing I do a lot of things you mentioned in this thread when I pass a cop. When I know I've done nothing wrong and am driving the limit, I like to stare cops down or simply look at them to see if they're scoping me out.

Out of all the time I've been pulled over (probably 8 or 9 in the last 4 years) the cop has always had his lights on long before I get anywhere near him

Old 04-12-2009, 02:16 AM
Administrator
Cool Ehhhh! Yes....Why?

Originally Posted by ZionsWrath
Are state police allowed to follow cars off the interstate for traffic violations and whatnot?
They are allowed to follow you in any state and from state to state if they are chasing you...

Quick Reply: State Police Restricted to Interstates?