Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

State troopers

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Default State troopers

are state troopers required to give accuracy checks on their radars? i got pulled over going 93 in a 55 and that is COMPLETE bull. i asked for an accuracy scan and he just said to argue it in court. im still paying of my last ticket ugh

Old 05-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Technically they are supposed to calibrate the radar gun after each shot, but guess what they don't and there is no way to prove it. Florida troopers are the hardest to beat, as your best chance is them not showing up to court, and FHP never miss a court date unlike regualr cops. Althought the smart cops never miss court dates, it's easy overtime for them.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:21 PM

so what are my options? am i basically screwed?

Old 05-19-2009, 10:23 PM

If those speeds are a criminal offense you better find the best lawyer in town, if not find the best lawyer you can afford and try and fight them. I've never dealt with civil infractions so I really can't give you advice there. I just have a couple relative's that are cops, hypocrites but still cops...

Old 05-19-2009, 10:41 PM

yes i believe you can be handcuffed on the spot if you're 30mph over. i was 38, so why wouldnt he arrest me if he knew his gun was accurate?

Old 05-19-2009, 11:01 PM

Because a lot of times cops do have empathy, knowing they do the same thing, and will still give you a ticket but won't write it down as 30 over saving you from the criminal infraction. I really don't know much about laws and such, I just have too many unfortunate experiences with the criminal "justice" system, thank god only as a juvenile though.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

I think they aren't always required to carry the radar's certification with them. You should be able to ask for it in court, and THEN they will be required to produce it. But every state might have different rules for stuff like that.
Talk to a lawyer.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Administrator
Smile Quit Speeding

Originally Posted by botang47
so what are my options? am i basically screwed?

Quit speeding and take it to the courts..you already have other speeding tickets...how do you think the judge is going to look at your record...

WheelBrokerAng
there coming to get you
watch out for this one

Attached Thumbnails State troopers-boston-p.d..jpg  
Old 05-21-2009, 12:33 PM

Even after having 7 violations on my record, I can still explain a new situation to the court easily.

You are basically SOL if you weren't following another car or it wasn't a 70-drop-to-55 speed limit kinda thing.

Another thing you can do to protect yourself is to ask the office if you can see what the radar was locked at and take a picture if you must. Unless you're obviously going waaaaay over the limit, a police office cannot write a ticket without giving a locked speed, unfortunately most citizens don't ask to see it, so they can write a ticket for whatever they feel you were going.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Supper Moderator

Take that to court if you REALLY weren’t speeding. B/c FHP and any cop have a calibration log. If it was not done properly then he has no case at all. If he wasn’t filling out the log right then your case will be dropped. It happened to me on my 1st speeding ticket they said I was going 95 in a 35. At the point in time my speedo only read 90mph the car wouldn’t even go that fast (86 grad am) Took it to court w/o a lawyer and got the ticked dropped

....ohh and by the way F**K FHP!

Quick Reply: State troopers