Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Which SUV to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 08:22 AM
Default Which SUV to buy?

I'm confused on which SUV to buy. With price and gas mileage aside(I'm buying used all cost about the same, and they all get about same mpg) I'm trying to get some real world opinions on which to buy based on power, ride quality, room, and comfort/ammenities attributes. I figured a few people on the forum would have one of these SUVs so I would appreciate some input. Choices are:
2004-2005 Acura MDX Base
2004-2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport or Limited
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Old 11-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Which SUV to buy?

Well, I've put on quite a few miles in a 2004 MDX Touring. The 3.5L J35 V6 is peppy, but the torque isn't all that wonderful... I don't think I would tow anything besides a small UHaul trailer with it. As for amenities, the cabin is amazing, everything is easy to use, including the nav system. If you don't get one with nav, it still has a double-DIN LCD display with a compass, etc.

We have not yet had to service ANYTHING on this vehicle, except for a fauly nav unit that Honda, ahem Acura, replaced free of charge out of warranty. Vehicle is at 90,000 miles now.

The comfort is great, the leather seats are very comfortable and stay that way for long trips. The 3rd row seat is comfy, I'm 6'3" and rode back there for 250 miles... didn't complain.

If you were to get an MDX, I would not go earlier than 2004... 2004 is the model year where they implemented side curtain airbags .

As far as ride qaulity goes, we have the Touring edition, which has a bit stiffer springs and thicker sway bars. I can outhandle my Accord any day of the week with this thing. I'm talking exiting freeways to other freeways at without slowing down @ 80 MPH and taking cloverleafs at 40-45 MPH. The thing truly drives like a car. On the highway, there is virtually no cabin noise, in fact it feels like orchestra hall with the sound system.

I was 15 when we got our MDX and I was told to pick out an SUV for our growing family (our family is vehicularily stupid). I had to choose between a BMW X5, a Volve XC90 and the Acura MDX. I stand by my decision.

I do all the service on this car... my only complaint is there is no way to change the oil without getting it everywhere.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:31 PM

It's not on your list probably because it is too small, but how about the FJ Cruiser? That thing is really cool.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:41 PM

^ ehh.. I would pass on the FJ, and settle for the 4runner.IMO

Old 11-06-2008, 05:47 PM

im gonna go with finch...although your choices are good SUVs...

btw are you just only looking at large SUV's??

Old 11-06-2008, 08:07 PM

Yea I'm only looking at these 3 SUVs, I know my list is pretty small but there are no other SUVs that I like in the same price range. I think I'm going to go with the MDX or 4Runner as I read the 2005 Nissans can be problematic.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:59 AM

Slatington PA 18080 area ............

My wife wants to sell (asking 32K, new listed for 45K)her 07 Acura MDX with 23K miles on it, it has thenavagation package (includes upgraded 410 watt stero)with (I installed both)factory running boards andfactoryblack plasticfender trim. The running boards were 350 I think and the trim kit 220.

When we got it we hated the light grey plastic on the lower part of F&R bumpers (WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??), we had them painted to match body color, this is a HUGE improvement over stock, the body shop loved it too.

Exterior is Steel Blue, Interior is grey, leather of course too.

This is just a quick shot of it this morning and shows part of bumper that was repainted ....

Name:  OdesseyandGrandAM096.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  27.1 KB

Here it is with running boards (and ugly grey bumperplastic)on but not fender trim yet ...........

Name:  DSC04312.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  89.8 KB

Name:  DSC04314-1.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  63.8 KB

Actual color ( Ilike thewrong huedaytime color better)is much closer to the night time shot, it was never smoked in or "contaminated" by

messy kids [sm=happybounce.gif] .

As far as your choices

2004-2005 Acura MDX Base
2004-2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport or Limited
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE

I would not even think of the Toy or Nissan, I think the 04-05 MDX is the best choice and best built of the three and will hold its value better + I do not like the looks of the others unless the Toyota is not the newest generation, I forget what year they changed them but find them downright ugly, the older one has a cleaner more heavt duty look to them and the interoir dash is not so plastic like the new ones are.
..........and "square" fender wells with round wheels, never understood that.

The Nissan, I just don't think they hold up as well as the Toy or Acura in the long run.

Best place for MDX info, new or used, is here ........ http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/

Old 11-07-2008, 08:44 AM

^^ Whats wrong with the color. Its fine to me.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:53 AM

I like the MDX of these 3, but I like the FX35 better.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:58 AM

FX50. FTW!

Quick Reply: Which SUV to buy?