Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

things that annoy you in class (college / hs)

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default things that annoy you in class (college / hs)

Ok...I have been sitting here at the new job this week working on my syllabus for my first class, CENE 420: Traffic Engineering. It has been awhile since I have sat behind a desk in a classroom setting, so I am looking for a little input....

What really bothers you (or bothered you) as a student in a class?

I am trying to avoid doing some of these things right off the bat. I am primarily looking for things done by the instructor regarding lecturing, grading, hw, labs, quizzes, etc. The smelly assbag in the back of the room is truly out of my control. Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks guys.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:16 PM
Default RE: things that annoy you in class (college / hs)

Dont speak with a monotone because that will send most of the class into dream land.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:54 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

^Yeah
Also, when writing things on the board for people to copy down, make sure it is correct the first time. Also, dont go back to it later and add more as this will make the notes look sloppy and is just irritating. Not to mention it makes the teacher look like an idiot.
And for goodness sakes, spice it up a little. If you lecture every day you are going to get a boring response from the class. Bring in some R/C cars or something.

Just make it so at least most of the students will want to come to class. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2007, 11:46 PM

I love it when professors use powerpoint presentations to aid their lectures. Another thing that I like are classes where there is a lot of class participation. Get your students involved in the discussion instead of just lecturing at them for the whole class.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:05 AM

^ i like that idea, since most of my classes have little to no partcipation besides my speech class.
I like a professor with a sense of humor.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:16 AM

yeah man, a sense of humor is good. also, do not give useless "busy work"! for example, stuff that doesn't need to be done or is just asigned to take up time. if there is nothing the students need to do for homework, then do not give them homework. do not be afraid to give them a little freedom. (i am in 11th grade so i am bias toward lots of useless homework), but that is just me. o yeah, make sure to give them enough time to study for tests!

Old 08-24-2007, 09:25 AM

There's normally no homework (that you have to turn in and be graded on) in college.
[:@][:@][:@]I HATE POWERPOINT!!![:@][:@][:@]
Half of my business school professors, doctors, whatever their title was used frickin lazy @$$ powerpoint the entire class. That was what they considered "notes." Most of the teachers told the students to print out the power point slides and bring them to class to take down extra notes on. Totally boring, worthless, and I never learned crap from those boring bulls*** slides.
I already know from here that you have a great sense of humor. If possible, strategically throw in words like "teabag", "hot karl", or "rusty trombone"during lectures to keep the students on their toes.
And for god's sake, if you write something on the board, give the students time to write it down before you erase it.
Add "bonus" questions to tests and tell the students what the question(s) will be about when they are in class. I had a few teachers who would tell certain "bonus" things when attendance was low. That always gave me incentives to come to class.
Seldomly I have seen powerpoint actually work as a learning tool in a classroom setting. Most of the time everybody either falls asleep or just doesn't bother coming to class.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:33 AM

It annoys me when im rudely woken up. After all if im not snoring and disrupting class no one should have to disrupt my sleep after all. ^_^

Old 08-24-2007, 10:23 AM

ORIGINAL: stevent

Dont speak with a monotone because that will send most of the class into dream land.
I try not to. the best way to get your students interested in your topic is to show your own enthusiasm for it...And I do like my topic.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:26 AM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

There's normally no homework (that you have to turn in and be graded on) in college.
[:@][:@][:@]I HATE POWERPOINT!!![:@][:@][:@]
Half of my business school professors, doctors, whatever their title was used frickin lazy @$$ powerpoint the entire class. That was what they considered "notes." Most of the teachers told the students to print out the power point slides and bring them to class to take down extra notes on. Totally boring, worthless, and I never learned crap from those boring bulls*** slides.
I already know from here that you have a great sense of humor. If possible, strategically throw in words like "teabag", "hot karl", or "rusty trombone"during lectures to keep the students on their toes.
And for god's sake, if you write something on the board, give the students time to write it down before you erase it.
Add "bonus" questions to tests and tell the students what the question(s) will be about when they are in class. I had a few teachers who would tell certain "bonus" things when attendance was low. That always gave me incentives to come to class.
Seldomly I have seen powerpoint actually work as a learning tool in a classroom setting. Most of the time everybody either falls asleep or just doesn't bother coming to class.
That's a lot to reply to. You seem to have some repressed anger from college...haha

PowerPoint is just as effective at putting people to sleep as other lecture aids. its all in how you use it. Most, if not all of my slides, have less than 10 words of text on it. Pictures and main points. From tehre, you engage the discussion, and the students jot down other info on the slides.

Where did you go to college? I have had an assload of homework all through undergrad and grad school. I will probably assign about 10 hws, and about just as many labs...

Quick Reply: things that annoy you in class (college / hs)