Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

things that annoy you in class (college / hs)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: things that annoy you in class (college / hs)

Oh...and I will avoid using teabag and hot karl in calss, though I know I will have a problem keeping a straight face if it is used. I had a couple undergrads use the term blumpkin in front of me at purdue. It was quite funny.

Old 08-24-2007, 10:58 AM

iwas laughing when i pictured you teaching a class because i always picture you looking like that bird in your avatar. a bird teaching class, now that's something that would bring me in everyday!

Old 08-24-2007, 11:34 AM

I went to Ole Miss. I rarely ever had homework we actually had to turn in. If it was a class like Calculus or Finance, the teacher would give you a list of problems and be like, "here's what you need to do for homework." But we never had to turn anything in. Most classes your sole grade came from about 4 tests (including mid term and final). Occasionally we had classes that had a few quizzez. You could also usually get a better grade if you were in class all the time - i.e. the teacher was more lenient on you and may bump you from a C to B or B to A in the end. Many times the classes that had homework, the teacher would work maybe 1/2 the homeworkproblems in class and any other problem that someone had a question about.
Many teachers would drop your lowest test grade too.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:42 AM

that's a crappy way of evaluating..here is what i have for this class:

CENE 420 Undergraduate Students
Average of Laboratories 25%
Average of Homeworks 25%
Student Notebook 10%
Average of Quizzes 10%
Average of Tests 15%
Professional Development(2) 5%
Final Exam(3) 10%
100%

Old 08-24-2007, 12:01 PM

Bring in a bag of those little tiny candy bars and when/if people start to nod off a little bit throw them at them. It makes the rest of the class laugh and it gives the student a brief sugar high. Keeps people on their toes no matter how boring it is. If you see a majority of the class start to get sleepy then take 30 seconds, stand them up, get them moving for a second then resume your lecture...

Old 08-24-2007, 12:13 PM

not a bad idea...or i could throw tea bags.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:20 PM

My chem teacher here at Iowa State puts absolutely everything possible on his website. Full powerpoints, notes, lecture outlines, practice problems, websites. Don't forget to make sure you express an everyday life application of what your are teaching, plenty of people in high school said that math was useless, but didn't understand that you don't need to know jack about numbers to have math add logic to everyday thinking and problem solving. Also, try not to get off topic unless its a funny story. My microeconomics professor is a state senator and always talks about that. You've already got a head start with english being your primary, not secondary, language. Asian professors are smart, but I have no clue what they're saying.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:36 PM

What I couldn't stand is when a professor would treat us like we were still in high school. With stupid rules only really associated with the day care that is high school. For example, tardy rules, if a student is late it his or her own fault for missing some of the lecture there is no need to further penalize them, same goes for absences. I once had a proff who had a rule if someones cell phone went off the entire class would take a pop quiz on the next classes lecture. I would just try and make the students feel as equals, it must easier to perform for a proff who you respect then one you despise. Also I'll talk to my sister who is a proff at Colombia University to see if she has any good advice to offer.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

Bring in a bag of those little tiny candy bars and when/if people start to nod off a little bit throw them at them. It makes the rest of the class laugh and it gives the student a brief sugar high. Keeps people on their toes no matter how boring it is. If you see a majority of the class start to get sleepy then take 30 seconds, stand them up, get them moving for a second then resume your lecture...
Sir_Nasty has the best way to keep the attention span..I'm going to go sit in on his class's..ummm candy bars...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 08-25-2007, 07:26 PM

this class is in traffic engineering...so real world app is very easy....actually, most of the course is centered around that....

i plan on using vista, the successor to webct, to post ppts, announcements, etc. students will be responsible for putting together a reference notebook of all materials...

this is a jr/sr level course...so hopefully i wont have to babysit much

Quick Reply: things that annoy you in class (college / hs)