Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Took the Accord to AutoX...HORRIBLE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Default Took the Accord to AutoX...HORRIBLE!!!

So on Halloween I took the Accord to its first autocross event. Let's just say I'm not a NOVICE autox'er, but the car did horrible. Just kept plowing forward like it was going out of style. I got to trail brake it a couple of times, but that was it. Brakes worked awesome (Hawk HPS pads with EBC rotors), but the damn thing was just NOT fun to drive out there.

I'm either going to get a new car or start to tune the suspension, cannot go out there again like that.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

It's the stock suspension, it drives like a boat. What did you expect?

Old 11-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

... I was gonna post some stupid wisecrack about that

How can you tell the difference between an Accord and an S-2000...?
(one of the drivers is smiling)

Seriously, the Accord is a nice car, but it is what it is.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

why would you take a fwd car auto xing ?

Old 11-02-2009, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by status
why would you take a fwd car auto xing ?
why not, used to take my Corolla autoxing all the time, and I ran in class "I" when I did, and I still did really well. I had completely changed up the whole suspension, but still, the Accord with stock suspension = boat.

Okay, it's not a bad car...for people who don't drive past 4k rpm, and have no clue what ABS is b/c they never have stepped on the brakes that hard, or their version of burning rubber it when there is ice on the ground. I love to autocross, I have done several times, but even since I got the Accord I decided to stay away from it...until this past weekend, the car is not designed for this, and to think this is one of the better family sedans, God help us for wanting to have a little fun!

Old 11-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

OK, so how would the Corolla do with it's BONE-STOCK suspension & mushy stock tires? That's the comparison. Especially if it was a base model not a Corolla "S" or whatever they are.

I bet with a similar amount of work, the Accord can be transformed. Yes, it's heavier, so I suppose a better comparison would be a new-ish Civic. Mass is mass, & physics always rules.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
OK, so how would the Corolla do with it's BONE-STOCK suspension & mushy stock tires? That's the comparison. Especially if it was a base model not a Corolla "S" or whatever they are.

I bet with a similar amount of work, the Accord can be transformed. Yes, it's heavier, so I suppose a better comparison would be a new-ish Civic. Mass is mass, & physics always rules.
I agree, but what I'm complaining about is that the Accord is supposed to be one of the better handling family cars out there...wow, after that, I don't want to drive the worse!

I believe the Accord is way too heavy to modify and get it to perform like my Corolla, not sure what I'm going to do, I just know I have another year of autoX coming up next year, and a horrible vehicle to do the job.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Time to buy a Miata?

Old 11-06-2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by live2rice
Time to buy a Miata?
That's an option, but the Miata is too small for me, plus they hold their value...not really sure what to do. I can get the Eibach pro-kit, along with some Koni's, and maybe try to find some thicker sway bars, then get some lightwieght 17" rims with some summer only tires, and finalize everything with a little boost from a K&N cold air intake...but everything will run me a little over $2,000, not sure if it's really worth it to throw that money towards the car...

PS...here are the results www boston - bmwcca org

Old 11-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Administrator
Lightbulb Hello Rice

Originally Posted by live2rice
Time to buy a Miata?

Please start taking out those direct links to selling site..Thank You

Quick Reply: Took the Accord to AutoX...HORRIBLE!!!