Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

torque wrench?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: torque wrench?

4 to 80, then later get the 20 to 200 because the 4 to 80 encompasses the lighter duty stuff as well and getting the 20 to 200 will help for the remainder.... at least thats what i plan on doing

Old 05-03-2007, 04:05 PM

someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought lug nuts alone were 60-88ish ft/lbs meaning that a 4-80 may be a touch low, I think headbolts are over 80 even.... the only reason I say this is because typically anything under about 50 ft/lbs isn't a "crucial" bolt for mechanical operations so any serious work would require over 80 ft/lbs.... ideally like you said having 2 wrenchs would be great but if you can only get one I personally would go with the 20-200.... just my thoughts..

Old 05-03-2007, 04:32 PM

Since I don't have any manuals here at work I checked the DIY section (deserthonda posted a link from HondaDude)where it leads you to the link that allows you to search on EbscoHost and shows info from all the Chilton manuals. On the torque specs there, everything except for the crankshaftdamper bolts(181ft lbs for F23) were between 13 &80 ft lbs. Of course, the list was a far cry from everything I would need to torque to spec. But many of the items listed were under 20 ft lbs (such as intake & exhaust manifolds)so I don't think I would be getting the 20-200 ft lb model. I know two wrenches would be ideal, but I just don't have the cash to fork over for two of em. I think I'll go with either the 4-80 or the 10-120. Plus, I doubt I will really be doing any major work on my car. I'm gonna check my Haynes first though. (I knowmost of you say Helms is better, I just bought a Haynes cause it was cheap and they had one at AutoZone.)

sir_nasty, you are correct about the lugnuts (they are listed at 80ft lbs) andthe torque specs for the cylinder head bolts are listed in a 4 step process as follows for the F23A1: "Step 1: 22ft lbs, Step 2: Rotate 90 degrees, Step 3: Rotate 90 degrees, Step 4: if new bolt rotate additional 90 degrees"

Question: When I get a header, do I torque it to the same specs as the stockexhaust manifold?

Old 05-03-2007, 05:21 PM

I'mpleasantlysurprised at the interest in this great wrench.

Since I bought my wrench I have not visited the W&B web site, and it has changed a bit in that time. There used to be a section of the site devoted to torque accesories. In that section there was a device made specificallyfor their4 to 80lb-ft model that they called a "torque multiplier". But this device looked nothing like the typical torque multiplier that you'll see if you do an internet search. The W&B multiplier is merely a 1-footextension that will exactly double the range of the wrench up to8 to 160 lb-ft. The normal"working" length of the unextended wrench is 1-foot, so this extension exactly doubles the working length of the wrench and, therefore, its torque.After it is installed, if you want to tighten a fastener to 160 lb-ft, you just set the wrench for 80, and go for it.

The 3/8" end of the 4-80 wrench actually pulls out ofits square hole at the end of the wrench:
Name:  Chopinedition001.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  74.2 KB
Name:  Chopinedition002.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  114.6 KB
The multiplier has two ends - one is a male 3/8", the other, a male 1/2", as shown in the drawing below:
Name:  Multiplier.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  5.6 KB
The 3/8" male end of the extension plugs into the 3/8" squarehole left in the toolby the removal of the normal 3/8" male connector. At the other end of the multiplier,a square1/2" male connector now plugs into any normal 1/2" socket. Since that end of the extension experiences up to 160 lb-ft of torque, a 1/2" connector is appropriate.

The problem is that W&B wants a good piece of change for that extension - I think it was $80, or so.

The good thing is that one can fabricate one very easilyby either modifying a standarda breaker bar, or getting one of these
Name:  Tbar.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  8.2 KB
and either adding an additional slider, or welding any old 3/8-drive socket (connector end up) to the bar and adjusting the connector at the other end to be exactly 12" from the first, center to center, and then welding it permanently into position.

The latter was/is exactly the thing I'm going to do at some point. when I get my thumb out of you know where.

Hope this helps you decision.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:30 PM

NICE!! Think I'm gonna go for the 4-80 pounder then and consider the extension should I ever need it. I assume(although I do know the definition of assume)if they sell the extension then the 4-80wrench is tough enough to handle 160ft lbs.
Tony, I think Warren and Brown should give you a commission or give you something free! I would not be buying from them (nor would I even know they exhist) if you hadn't informed me.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:50 PM

Yikes, do you live on your computer?

The great thing about going with the 4-80 is really not its ability to go up to 160 withan extension. It is that itis accurate to within plus or minus 2% for its entire normalrange. Try to find any other wrench on the market that has the accuracy of2%down to 4 ft lb, while having the same accuracy at 80.

The great danger is not breaking big bolts, but getting small fastenersaccurately tightened to specification without the fear of breaking them that one has when tightening them by hand/feel.

The ability for this wrench to be easily added onto in orderto extend its range, rather than buying another wrench, is merely the icing on the cake.

To answer your question - torquing to 160 using the extensionis a piece of cake for this wrench. Remember, as far as the wrench is "concerned", you're only torquing to 80 - thetorque-setting thatthe slider has been set to in order to obtain 160 at the end of the extension.

BTW, when one uses the extension, the accuracy of the wrench is reduced to "only"4%, I believe, but W&B should be able to tell you what the exact % is.

You might want to ask them if they still have that multiplier for sale and how much they now want for it. I find it hard to believe that they would have sold many of them at the price they wanted a couple of years ago.

Also, it cannot hurt to tell them "I know a bunch of others who may want this tool, so give me a good price", etc. etc.

In fact, if any other readers are interested in obtaining one of these fine wrenches, you might want to contact each other by PM to maybe arrage a power buy.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:19 PM

Haha! Yeah I pretty much do live on my computer. I'm at work and I look for any excuse to take a break and get on the forum. I hardly ever get on the computer at home as I am on it from about 8:00 to 5:00 at work Monday - Friday.
I do understand the whole quality & accuracy thing. I doubt I will even need to torque anything to 160, but I would like to have the ability just in case. I also just wanted to see how much they are asking for the extension now. If it is not too pricey, I will probably throw one in with my order from W&B.
Good point about the power buy. The only problem I see witha bulk order like that is havingthe different itemsshipped to different places, but I could always ask the sales guy at w&b. If anyone else is interested, PM me (after I get an initialprice)and we will see if we can do this and get any kind of discount.
I just emailed the sales guy for a quote on the wrench alone, and for a quote on the extension adapter (yes they do still have it listed on their website.)
I'll let everybody know what the sales guy quotes me.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:54 PM

Yes, you're correct. It's still on their site.

Name:  ExtensionAdapter.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  38.0 KB

Old 05-03-2007, 08:01 PM

If I had the money I'd buy one.... a good torque wrench is a very valuable piece of equipment...

Old 05-04-2007, 12:13 PM

Agreed. I don't really have the money to spend, but I think I have convinced my wife that if I get one I can save us some serious cash on "minor" auto repairs. The sales guy still hasn't come back with a quote...I'll let yall know.

Quick Reply: torque wrench?