Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

Verizon phones pissed me off....

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Default Verizon phones pissed me off....

So I just recently got a Moto KRZR K1m from verizon (slick looking little thing) and started to play with it only to learn that they fricken blocked half the features of the OS.... I was bit upset so I "repaired" the phone my way but I still think it's stupid to hose a phone like they have.... word of warning to verizon customers, when looking at their phone features if it says "mp3 ringtones" call a customer service agent and ask them if it will allow you to put your own on there because chances are the only way you're going to get mp3 ringtones is if you buy them directly from verizon over you phone at about $2.99 each.... so beware because all of those songs you bought may not be good for much of anything....

Old 02-22-2007, 02:51 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Verizon phones pissed me off....

Nasty! seems as to any dealing with almost any cell company, they will find some way to pad your bill up to a greater price per moth with misleading features.

WheelBrokerAng [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 02-22-2007, 03:07 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ok Nasty try this and see if you like it

first go to www.gallery.mobile9.com search and download the mp3 ringtone you like .. yeah they are all free
after you download it in your computer . send yourself an e-mail . well you will send your phone the e-mail
(your phone # ) @vzwpix.com
now the ringtone is in your phone find it and install it and play it,, verizon will still charge you for air time but it is a lot cheaper than $ 2.99
I just signed with verizon i got 1 of those razor phones and i have downloaded a bunch of mp3s in it ,,,,
the sound is not super crisp ,, so try one or two and see what you think

Old 02-22-2007, 01:36 PM

I kind of took it one step further and the OS got modified/unlocked somehow *cough cough* but it's the principal of the matter, alltel doesn't do that stuff!

Old 02-22-2007, 05:14 PM

I know an issue with the samsung a930 for verizon was that it would only play WMA files and MIDIs.

It had MP3 playing technology, but you could only access it from a hidden debugging menu. Simple workaround was rename all your mp3 files to filename.mp3.mid so the software would see it as a midi file, but play it normally.

Phone companies **** me off. Give some joe schmo off the street a brand new phone for nothing, and their customers who pay hundreds of dollars don't get ***Crap*** when their phone is not functioning.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:31 PM

I hear you on the phone thing.... I just can't understand why (besides the money portion of things) a phone company wouldn't allow you full access to the features that the designers of the phone included to make it more usefull...

Old 02-22-2007, 05:41 PM

what specific features were blocked? simply mp3 or were there additional things as well?

Old 02-22-2007, 06:22 PM

you couldn't load mp3's onto the phone unless you had a card, with those mp3's you couldn't use them as ringtones unless you downloaded/paid for them from verizon, they crippled the bluetooth so you couldn't transfer the files accross it, the disabled a lot of the options for modifying the way your phone allows you view/access things as well.... can't start the mp3 player/controls with the flip closed and lots of other little features...

Old 02-22-2007, 06:39 PM

try renaming the file extension to.mid and using it on the card. Microsd cards are so cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134049

5 bucks + shipping for a 512

Old 02-22-2007, 06:57 PM

I got a 1GB microSD card already... the problem is that you can only use files in your sounds or rintones folders as ringtones and they disabled the ability to write to those folders from a computer or move the files from the SD card to the folder on the phone, I've found a way around these issues but it still ticks me off that I had to go through so much just to get it working (I've got the new KRZR K1m) not to mention the features that they completely disabled...

Quick Reply: Verizon phones pissed me off....