Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic.

way off topic: cookware pots/pans selection help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Default way off topic: cookware pots/pans selection help

since I know we have such a large variety of people on here I decided to post this. I've been reasearching and reading reviews on stainless steel cookware for weeks now and can't make up my mind on what to get. I have an electric stove and I love to cook. I make everything you can imagine and I want to purchase a good cookware set. Is anyone on here by chance into cooking a lot and have a suggestion on what brand of pans to buy? I've been looking at Cuisinart and Calphalon primarily. I'm not willing to spend the money for All-Clad so that's out.... I recently got a suggestion to go with Analon but I want stainless..... so who's a chef with some suggestions?

Old 05-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Default RE: way off topic: cookware pots/pans selection help

I also do a hell of a lot of cooking
So much that my wife will not even attempt to cook. She gets mad if she trys to cook and I show her how to do things easier...I guess it's a woman pride thing.
Anyway...I have Cephalon One(I believe is whay it's called) it is not stainless though. I had to have non-stick pots/pans. Do they make stainless non-stick? Anyway...I love the Cephalon. Only thing I don't like is having to hand wash all of them. My wife's mother is a big cook and she has stainless All Clads. I don't even like them though cause they aren't non stick. Plus consumer reports did not give all clad a very good rating when I was looking into buying cookware (I think they were ranked like 8 out of 12 or something.) So you are right for not wanting to spend the money on All Clad.
I have also used the Cephalons on anElectric Stove and a Gas Stove.
They are still kind of high dollar though. I was lucky enough to be able to register for them on our wedding registry. Although my wife's mom thought I was a moron for wanting non-stick. Look around...many stores have sales on cookware all the time....especially Belk.
So after a long rant..my opinion is...Cephalon.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:35 PM

I'm split right now between the calphalon on the Cuisinart, both of them review well and both have a non-stick stainless line of pans.... Honestly I'm starting to lean towards the cuisinart because of price ($50-$100 less) but I've noticed a few people say that little white "pits" show up in them after cooking noodles.... Well that's because you need to bring the water to a boil BEFORE adding salt or it will deposit in your pans.... the Calphalon seem a tad nicer (in certain lines) because they line the entire pan with an aluminum layer, not just the bottom so heat distributes extremely well.... It sounds to me though that you cook as much as I do (I harrass my wife too....) and if the pots work well for you then perhaps I'll go that way... Do you have any problems with the handles getting to hot or the pans scratching/chipping easily?

Old 05-21-2007, 04:34 PM

Handles have never gotten hot & I don't have a single chip or scratch. The cooking surfaces still look and function like new. Only reason you can tell they are used is on the outside on the bottom of them where you can tell the heat has been. I have been using them since January of 2006.
I'll have to remember that about the salt. I usually add it when the water is steaming good and bubbles start to form on the bottom (so it looks like it's about to boil) but it is not quite at a complete boil.
Yeah when my wife cooks I always catch her trying to stick a METAL fork in my NONSTICK pan. I usually keep my cool and am like...."uhh you might not want to use that metal fork if you want those pans to stay non-stick." Then she gets all mad and is like "See...that's why I don't cook!" I think she knows better...she just does it on purpose and makes sure I see her do it...that way I have to do all the cooking. I like cooking anyway though so I don't mind
Like I said. Shop around. Actually go in to the stores as a lot of times here the sale will be in-store only and you won't know till you are in there. Also you could buy them in 1 or 2 pieces at a time to spread out the cost. Put them on "Chrismas or Birthday wish lists" if you have family members that like to buy things you actually want. My wife's mom is a Chrismas nut. She used to pinch pennies all year long so she could spend a few grand on Christmas. I think she is crazy for it, but Chrismas is usually pretty dang good.
I haven't ever used Cuisinart pots/pans, but I have a few other things around the house made by them. I don't have any complaints about any of their stuff. The only reason I say Cephalon is because that's what I have and I like it. I bet Cuisinart is probably good too. Go to the store and compare the two next to each other and see what you think!
Another good kitchen tool-believe it or not- is Miracle Blade knives. For $50 you get more knives than you will probably ever need and they are "as sharp as the Devil himself." Watch out cutting with them or you may lose a digit or too. I have an expensive set of knives bought by relatives for wedding gifts and they just sit in the block...unused. Of course, till my mother in law comes over..then I whip them out and use them!

Old 05-21-2007, 05:02 PM

Knives were my big area of research a month or so ago.... I was going to buy either emerilware or global but my parents got me a set of Chicago Cutlery for my B-day and they work amazingly well.... interesting that those miracle blades work that well.... my wife thinks they're great too but I've got like 3 sets of knives now *L* I'm still saving up for an 8" chef's knife.... are the mircale blades serrated edges?

Old 05-21-2007, 06:42 PM

Yes..that is the only downfall. Thereare a few that are not- the "chop & scoop" - almost square shaped blade, kind of like a mini cleaver, you use it to chop stuff like fresh herbs. The set also comes with a small paring knife. I was impressed at the way that things like onions don't really stick to the blade on the main knife that is serrated though.
I do like a good old sharp, unserrated chef's knife though. The set I got came from JCPenny I believe. I think it is their expensive store name brand. Good quality, heavy, and stay sharp. But like I said, I use the miracle blades most of the time.
Of course, the absolute BEST knife is Henkles, but you seriously pay for it. I think a single chef's knife is like $100+.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:54 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

I dont think I have ever read so much about pots, pans and knives! lol Good luck with your choice!

Old 05-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

marbro like fud....... fud gud......

Old 05-22-2007, 12:57 PM

^*L* I don't actually recall coming across Henkles in the recent reviews... the highest rated knives right now are Global, the chef's knife I want (8") is about $100.00 if you shop around.... I think I'm going to go with the non-stick Cuisinart Stainless, after reading cooks illustrated reviews and a few others they came highly recommended (winner) in the non stick stir fry pan tests, and considering that's where I do 60% of my cooking I'm going to give them a try.... if you got the set from JCPenny I wouldn't be suprised if you have Chicago Cutlery as well.... we'll see what happens... I'm still waiting on some money then I'll make my purchase, I also e-mailed a Calphalon Cooking school to ask what they suggest (I doubt I'll hear back) but we'll see....

Old 05-22-2007, 01:19 PM

I spelled it wrong. It is actualle Henckels. Here is a link to their website: http://www.jahenckels.com/
I got a set of Henckels steak knives in a snazzy mahogany box as a wedding gift from a rich family that was invited to the wedding. I have never had a knife cut steak that well. Even the miracle blades don't even compare. I browsed the site and saw a 6" chef's knife is around $100 and a 10" chef's knife is like $145. Pretty ridiculous. Henckels is probably one of the oldest brands of knives around. That is probably why they can get away with charging so much.
Yeah Chicago Cutlery sounds like it might be what I have now. I do like them, but like I said, I use the miracle blades almost all the time.

Quick Reply: way off topic: cookware pots/pans selection help